Picker score!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picker score!

So my brother bought a foreclosed house in an online auction. I've been in charge of cleaning it out, I've found some cool things, but mostly just good and interesting books. It's 3,000 square feet of 50 years of living piled in this house. Too bad they were collectors, but I did find some cool archaeology books. The first is a native american edition of a Smithsonian series, published in 1934. Check out the name of the first chapter, oh how times have changed. The others are Missouri arch books from the mid-1960's, these have great photos and illustrations in them. I'm willing to trade these MO books since it's out of my region. Send me a PM if any of you MO folks are interested? The last is a couple Nat geo mags I pulled from the pile.

Tyson, Score!!!! that is cool! I would love to see them. Hang on to them buddy, let me look first.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

What a find! I love looking through old books and papers. It seems there was so much information that is now forgotten. The Smithsonian and people like Gutenberg are doing a great job in scanning old papers and providing them on-line as pdf's but there's still a lot of stuff that only exists on paper in archives.
      I'll bet the National Geographic article "The Search for the First Americans" from September 1979 would be an amusing read too.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

You got it Chase, I will hold them til you have a chance to see them, they're full of illustrations and photos of point types in MO.  Oh do I have another find for you to check out painshill, here's a rare, original 1911 printed series.  I can't find any originals online, but I did find some reproductions on Amazon, that says the print is from an original and can have damaged pages and unlegible words.  These three are in near mint condition, but I could not find the 2nd volume!  One of the books has an upside down cover, really adds character!  Can you believe these are just over 100 years old!   

Comment

I'm very interested in the MO books, would at least like to know the titles of them.

Comment

Almost as good as finding artifacts!
            Always enjoy reading the old turn of the century (20th) histories. In another hundred years it makes me wonder what they are going to think of what our interpretation of history is.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Neanderthal, the title's are all in the photos, they must have been a professional archaeology publication, a lot of burial photos and scientific stuff, but cool illustrations and photos of MO point types and other tools.  Greg, you bet, I love to pick and after going through hundreds of books, finding these made my day for sure!  I haven't had a chance to read any of them, but I'm sure I'll get some kicks out of the known history of the time.

Comment

Paleolution wrote:

Neanderthal, the title's are all in the photos, they must have been a professional archaeology publication, a lot of burial photos and scientific stuff, but cool illustrations and photos of MO point types and other tools.  Greg, you bet, I love to pick and after going through hundreds of books, finding these made my day for sure!  I haven't had a chance to read any of them, but I'm sure I'll get some kicks out of the known history of the time.
                  When / if you decide to sell the MO publications, let me know the price or what you're looking for in trade.

Comment

Working...
                X