New ownership of Overstreet's book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ownership of Overstreet's book?

Does the Ownership of Overstreet's book being the same person publishing the new Overstreet's Artifact Catalogue concern you?
    So he sets the pricing and sells artifacts under the same umbrella.
    Authentications offered come from the company OverstreetID, does that mean you are hoping someone qualified look at your artifact?
    Will the Overstreet's book become just a sales tool for publishing artifacts for sale? Pay $100 to put a photo of your artifact in the book, then you can sell as "pictured" in Overstreet's?
    I guess I am not seeing the checks and balances that were in place before to ensure only AUTHENTIC artifacts make it into the book and people setting prices are not direct sellers benefitting.

Out of curiosity, I went to this page on the site, under Resources.
    Welcome to Overstreet™ Artifact Services Overstreet™ is the Number One Source for Artifact Grading and Sales Services Known as the most trusted name in Nat...

On a personal level, I'm 99% local/regional surface hunter.
    Rhode Island

Comment

Good or Bad, it's a business. But the book is one of many good resources.
      And I'm like CMD, all local.
      Myself, I'm not here because of the book or the name, I'm here because of the people.
      You'll be hard pressed to find a better bunch!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

FishHook wrote:

Does the Ownership of Overstreet's book being the same person publishing the new Overstreet's Artifact Catalogue concern you?
        So he sets the pricing and sells artifacts under the same umbrella.
        Authentications offered come from the company OverstreetID, does that mean you are hoping someone qualified look at your artifact?
        Will the Overstreet's book become just a sales tool for publishing artifacts for sale?  Pay $100 to put a photo of your artifact in the book, then you can sell as "pictured" in Overstreet's? 
        I guess I am not seeing the checks and balances that were in place before to ensure only AUTHENTIC artifacts make it into the book and people setting prices are not direct sellers benefitting.
        Actually it doesn't bother me at all because I know what I'm willing to pay for or sale an artifact for.I don't know about Overstreets but I do know of one well known publication that puts together a small committee of people from various backgrounds in the artifact community and they each price the point according to what they think it would be worth, then everything is averaged out low to high.It's a price guide anyways and nothing is set in stone :laugh: An artifact is only worth what someone is willing to pay and the market does fluctuate.I'd be interested to know if Overstreet's prices are done this way also.....I'm almost willing to bet they are.

Comment

im a surface hunter as well, i dont plan on selling any of my finds ( mine are probably mostly field grade anyway if you were to put a money value on them) or buying any for that matter, but alot of folks do, im guessing the values you find in the book are the generally accepted ones or else you would never have heard of overstreet in the first place. if the book is b#!!$#!! no one would pay it any mind and we'd all be talkin about another one.
          call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

gregszybala wrote:

Good or Bad, it's a business. But the book is one of many good resources.
            And I'm like CMD, all local.
            Myself, I'm not here because of the book or the name, I'm here because of the people.
            You'll be hard pressed to find a better bunch!
              I too am more interested in what I find. I have found on this site you get honest answers on what you post. Not many people on here even want to talk about price of a artifact because its not a place to get an appraisal on your artifact. Knowledge is what I seek and there is so many people on here that have a lot of knowledge on artifacts. Most I agree with but you have to think people are only able to judge by what they see in a picture.  So if your looking for prices , you might want to look somewhere else . If your looking to learn from some great people this is your site.
            I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

I have not been on this site very long, but I will say that this site is second to none, when it comes to knowledge. The fact that it is funded by Overstreet and is a site that is free to join, post and learn, with no influence from Overstreet has my admiration. The current owner is committed to making this hobby and business one that has a degree of governing and policing the artifakes. The AACA which I am proud to be a part of, has a founding member as well on this site. I would not think if there was any impropriety, that we would have such a member.
              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Well FishHook, since you brought it up, it doesn't matter to me in the least. I gave up buying and selling years ago and have a pretty much 100 percent personal found collection except for a few pots I have owned for years. Overstreet is a business just like lots of others and I think the prices or values would be more realistic if they were true market values. As it stands now they are inflated by the collectors that own the pieces.. If they want to make their book a sales catalog that is their choice. As Chase said, they sponsor this site and let us run it for the betterment of the hobby. As Jeffery said, the money part of it rarely sneaks in here, Members avoid online appraisals. True, there is a stores section that I assume attracts buyers and sellers, but it stays out of our forum.
                Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

IMO, It's all a money game no matter who owns it- prices, ads, who's points, etc. etc.  I have hopes that the O-st book can get straightened out some with the new co-editor Steven Cooper.

Comment

What Ray Martin said....
                    Rhode Island

Comment

It doesn't really concern nor does it interest me.  If I am going to buy a piece I'm not going to let a book and a COA tell me what I should do and a book tell me how much I should pay.
                      I think the Overstreet price guides have caught flak because of mistakes and values, and I'm sure I've poked a stick at the book a time or two for the same reasons.
                      That said it's the most widely available book out there, so it's going to be the target since every one has a copy or has thumbed through copies.  Perino's books are great, but it is not something most people have access to at the local library or book store.
                      As far as authenticating, selling, and establishing the price guide, it's something that the big dealers/auction houses have done for a while, and it's a reality in our hobby.
                      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I agree with the post responses.  I am also a totally local collector.  Large type guide books I don't have any use for..   I have never seen an Overstreet's and I don't know anyone I hunt with that has one since we are all similar collectors..
                        I guess I can go down to Amazon and check the book out!!!?!!?!!  It'll be like a hunt! :blink:
                        Professor Shellman
                        Tampa Bay

Comment

Comment

Sorry But somehow may name was put on this list...The prices are laughable at best.

Comment

CliffJ wrote:

IMO, It's all a money game no matter who owns it- prices, ads, who's points, etc. etc.  I have hopes that the O-st book can get straightened out some with the new co-editor Steven Cooper.
                              and maybe a few others can have some input. His prices are way off. He seems to forget about the economy and several well known collections flooding the market lately!

Comment

Working...
                              X