By The Rivers Dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By The Rivers Dark

I guess I collect the music of Leonard Cohen,poet, songwriter, ordained Buddhist priest
    One of the great ones, still going strong pushing 80...
    LEONARD COHEN -BY THE RIVERS DARK By the rivers dark I wandered on. I lived my life In Babylon. And I did forget My holy song: And I had no strength In Babyl...

Rhode Island

my buddy steve listens to him alot.he just got one of his dvd's today called "ladies and gentleman,mr.leonard cohen".
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

OnewiththewilD wrote:

my buddy steve listens to him alot.he just got one of his dvd's today called "ladies and gentleman,mr.leonard cohen".
        Yeah, I remembered him from the one song "Suzanne", end of 60's, when he first moved to the states from Canada. Poetry was there, voice not deep enough yet. Did not realize until recent years that he had gone on to be recognized as one of the great songwriting poets of our era. He was appreciated more in Europe. Saw his "Live in London" concert on PBS one night, realized who it was after all those years, and bought the DVD and cd of the concert next day. The man is a genius, glad he came out of retirement so I could rediscover him
      Everybody knows...
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The Gypsy's Wife. he gets the best musicians and female vocalists for his tours..
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

So long, Marianne:

Rhode Island

Comment

Interesting post Charlie..
        I've had the old guys music around the house for 40 years - a great writer, but his voice kept him from being played more often. Lots of younger artists have picked up on the timelessness of his work and are paying him tribute with good covers - older renditions by Judy Collins was probably my favorite way to listen to him though.

It's 1968. Leonard Cohen writes it; Judy Collins records it.A beautiful song which has as many interpretations as there are birds to be found on wires. Cohen...

Judy Collins, an early and ardent supporter of Leonard Cohen's career as a singer-songwriter, began recording her own compositions, largely at the urging of ...

Judy Collins sings "Since You've Asked," the first of many songs she has written. The performance, taped at Avery Fisher Hall in New York City in 1989, was ...

Tonight Will Be Fine, the closing song from Leonard Cohen's second album, "Songs from a Room" (released in 1969), is interpreted here by Canadian musician Al...

Gotta love the classics!
        If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Thanks, olden. Yeah, other artists have always considered him a master. I think once his voice deepened, it fit the songs he wrote much better. I like his voice now and prefer his renditions most of the time now. It seemed like after he showed up in the states, Europe discovered him and in Europe is where he was always a star. Leaving the music scene for several years to enter a Buddhst monestary and leave an ordained Buddhist priest was different. His agent robbed him, that's why he had to come out of retirement and tour the world in 2008.
          First We Take Mahattan:

Democracy:

Rhode Island

Comment

Yeah, the bigger band format and the lower voice suits him - it's time for me to update my collection. His biography at Wiki should be a good read as well. Thanks for the links!
            If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Both my wife and I are huge fans. We saw him on that 2008 tour at the Albert Hall in London, and more recently on the second tour at Wembley Arena. He also did an almost unpublicised extra concert at an outdoor venue a couple of miles from where we live. It rained, but he rewarded us with seven encores. 
              I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

painshill wrote:

Both my wife and I are huge fans. We saw him on that 2008 tour at the Albert Hall in London, and more recently on the second tour at Wembley Arena. He also did an almost unpublicised extra concert at an outdoor venue a couple of miles from where we live. It rained, but he rewarded us with seven encores. 
                  What good fortune. Must be quite an experience live. Great memories I'm sure, Roger.
                Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                X