The City by the Sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The City by the Sea

BlueMantleMedia does an excellent job producing drone videos. Here is one they just made of Newport, RI. I'm only about a half hour from this great town, but this Summer was the first time I was down there in a few years. One of the largest and best preserved colonial districts in the United States. Largest concentration of mansions, or, as they were known, "Summer cottages" of the Gilded Era. Often called the sailing capital of the world, home of the America's Cup, Newport to Bermuda race, and a port of call in major round the world races. Newport Jazz Festival, Folk Festival, few American towns as fun as Newport in the Summer. Or any time of year. This short video captures the essence of Newport, the city by the sea as it's long been called. A Summer resort since colonial times, when planters from the southern colonies first made it a resort of choice. One of the great slave trading ports of the colonial era as well, a hub in the infamous triangular trade. 5th largest city in the colonies. At 1:32 of this clip, you even get a glimpse of the Newport Tower, long associated with Norse voyages, but for the politically correct, a colonial windmill owned by Benidict Arnold's grandfather. Which it probably was, but it became one of the most famous "mystery " structures in the hemisphere by the mid 19th century. But, I digress. Just a good job showing a glimpse of a special town I love as a Rhode Islander.....

For the 11th video in our "Blank by Drone" series we take you to charming Newport, Rhode Island. We just completed a 14-month roadtrip around the United Stat...
    Rhode Island

Charlie, I enjoyed the video very much. It is a good production that captures a lot in just a bit over 4 minutes. I've never been to Rhode Island but this video helps insure Newport a place on my "bucket list" of places to visit. One of the things I am most interested in is the area's maritime/nautical history.

Comment

That is a great video Charlie, thanks for sharing it.
      The scenery there is incredible, both days and night but I couldn't help but think about taking my magic walking stick for a swing there.
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Originally posted by sailorjoe View Post
        Charlie, I enjoyed the video very much. It is a good production that captures a lot in just a bit over 4 minutes. I've never been to Rhode Island but this video helps insure Newport a place on my "bucket list" of places to visit. One of the things I am most interested in is the area's maritime/nautical history.
        And a rich history it is. There's a strong marine archaeology program in place here, largely due to that history. More shipwrecks per square mile then any other state, and largest number of Revolutionary War wrecks, including Captain Cook's HMS Endeavour, which is at the bottom of Newport Harbour. The Navy has always had a presence in the area. My parents and I used to go down to see the America's Cup races years ago, Newport is one of those ports that every avid sailor has heard of. The Jazz and Folk festivals are both held at Ft. Adams, a naval fortification dating to early 19th at the mouth of the harbour. It's seen at the end of the clip. So a lot of people "attend" by boat. Plus the history is amazing. One of the largest concentrations of colonial structures anywhere in the original 13 colonies. That's a treat if you like Early American architecture. The Cliff Walk winds along on the cliffs fronting the mansions for a few miles and is unique to say the least, seascapes on one side, ornate mansions trying to outdo each other on the other side.
        Rhode Island

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post
          That is a great video Charlie, thanks for sharing it.
          The scenery there is incredible, both days and night but I couldn't help but think about taking my magic walking stick for a swing there.
          For sure, Bruce. It's at the southern end of Aquidneck Island. Revolutionary War battle at the northern end, lots of history in between. A lot of agriculture on Aquidneck Island as well, so likely a lot of decent off season places to look where some of that 17th and 18th century history can be found.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks Charlie!
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Working...
            X