Hunting New England Offshore Islands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting New England Offshore Islands

Bill Moody of Martha's Vineyard has a series of videos dealing with artifact hunting on Martha's Vineyard and environs. This one deals with prehistoric fishing implements....

Rhode Island

Thanks Charlie, He has a nice variety of weights. The notched weight that he found and showed in-situ was way cool.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Nice film.. I wonder if he checked the stone just below his find? Any dates for the beginnings of lg. net weights - thought they might parallel the heavy use of pottery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NetWeights.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	232733
      If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• searchinghawk
        searchinghawk commented
        Editing a comment
        my son and i found an early archaic site in maine on the kennebec river,, bifurcates,, palmers and kirks and starks and nevilles,, one possible late paleo point and net weights as plummets or grooved stones,, this is strictly a middle and early archaic site

• Olden
        Olden commented
        Editing a comment
        So they were fishing. I was trying to draw a line possibly connecting the invention of pottery (for processing fish) to the use of the larger net wts., which would seem to be used for a much larger endeavor. Y'all New Englanders are lucky to be so rich in the accoutrements of the ancient watermen.. I need to hit the beach more!
        Hakai Magazine explores science, society, and the environment in compelling narratives that highlight coastal life and phenomena.

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        Plummets and grooved weights are of course not the same as notched weights, but all are classified under fishing gear by the Ma. Society. Of course, plummets are a special class and folks will debate forever if the finest examples were used as utilitarian weights. At any rate, certainly the various weights predated the Woodland Period......

Bill is a great guy..we are always checking out each other's artifacts at the meetings in norwell..

Comment

After finding two of my own on the beach, I know the thrill. He has some interesting varieties.
        Child of the tides

Comment

Working...
        X