diggin florida sand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diggin florida sand

Shave off the top, scrape the sides with a Pony shovel. BOOM! Dig to the hardpan! In third photo you can see a "false" hardpan (dark brown) and below that was the site layer.
    Last edited by tomclark; 08-28-2017, 08:20 AM.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Hey Tom - I used to dig holes like that when I was in Florida but I called it a GRAVE. I was a Cemetery Sexton for the city cemetery. Seriously though, I'd like to invite you up to my place here on the mountain in Tennessee and have you dig a couple of holes like that for me. Now sit back and watch the Tn/Ky guys start chuckling...
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

That's some fancy dance moves there Tom...impressive! If this archaeology thing doesn't pan out,...Dancing with the Stars may be in your future!
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Lol hand dug holes like that here in NW Arkansas are few and far between .... I love to dig
        As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
        NW Arkansas

Comment

Cool video clips Tom.Did you end up finding anything or did that end up as a latrine pit?
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Last time I dug that deep in sand I was 10 & building sand castles! Where's yours? 😄
            Child of the tides

Comment

I was diggin REAL hard that day at a site that produced Pasco (Archaic Stemmed) Points made of coral. I didn't get much but preforms and flakes but they were trying to knap the coral so that it looked like snakeskin. Was called "The Steakhouse Site" LOL because it was behind a steak house in Pasco Co. next to a sinkhole. Now developed fully.
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

That guy in the third video is a wild man!
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Oh whatd I give for some soft digging like that sometimes.... Lol
                  I think Chuck was hinting at the fact that around here when you stick your shovel in the ground real hard your apt to stub your wrist up or pull a muscle trying to get a little scoop of Dirt out and when you go to throw the shovel full out you have to smack it against a rock to get the dirt to leave the shovel. Lol. If your still smiling and squirming good when you get your hole dug we call it easy digging. Of course this dirt coupled with your heat would be enough to do a feller in...
                  Nice digging moves Tom, Thanks for sharing!
                  Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Really liked those pics, instant smile. Thanks

Comment

My friends / and point enthusiast in Fl dig holes as tall as they are to find those A coral points .
                      one fell in on him .

Comment

Must Ask , how would have found a site that deep ??? Was evidence above ?? Or an accidental unearthment and something found ??
                        As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                        NW Arkansas

Comment

Evidence above all that would be a sinkhole or presence of old sinkhole, high spots in wet areas and along creeks that were habitation or hunting areas back in the day. We do test pits in new spots first, looking for anything. And due to the sand and geography/age you have to dig at least a few feet and up to 5 or so for anything pre Woodland. Presence of chips usually at construction sites or any place digging goes on. This site was found by others years ago, probably from doing test pits because nothing could have been on the surface unless from a gopher tortoise burrow hole.
                          Professor Shellman
                          Tampa Bay

Comment

The only dumb question you can ask, is & unask question. What I told my kids when they were younger.
                            What is the hardpan? We ain't got much sand in NE Alabama enjoyed the video though.

Comment

Hardpan is hard soil/sand, much harder than the soil above and sometime than the soil below. I know it occurs in deep soils/sands without bedrock,like FL.
                              In that wacky gif you can see that about a foot and a half, maybe two feet down there was a dark layer. That was a hardpan layer and we found some artifacts just above and/or on that layer. Hardpan here is usually deeper so we dug down. I dig down real deep a few spots anyway to see where there are no chips at all. When we dug through that unusual "shallow" hardpan we hit pure white sand again down a few feet until we hit another hardpan layer very similar to the first one. The best stuff was laying just aboe or on that lower hardpan layer. Point migrate down in sand pretty durn quick and when they hit the hardpan they can't go through it easily. It's a mistake to also not dig into these hardpan layers a few inches at least.... I think these layers are formed by drought/flood/types of vegetation at the time or some hitherto unknown geological phenom. Hardpan soil does seem to have more limonite/iron type minerals and that would give it a dark brown-red color and those heavier minerals can migrate down to a certain level in the soil profile..... We also have "crunchies" at some levels within sandy soils at some sites/places that are like yellowish/reddish/brownish crumbly little rocks.... The true deep hardpan will be almost unpenetrable even with poney shovels.
                              Professor Shellman
                              Tampa Bay

Comment

Working...
                              X