February Arrowhead Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• February Arrowhead Hunting

Our friend Bill of Martha's Vineyard sent me the first video he has made in awhile. Hunting the island in a largely snow free Winter.

Rhode Island

Cool video Charlie. Your friend Bill. Has some exceptional dirt to Walk. He finds some cool stuff.....I like how calm he was picking up that late Paleo snappit. That is one sweet triangle. Thanks for posting
    SW Connecticut

Comment

Must of been where the CHIEF vacationed ! Nice .
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Great video.

Reminds me of the areas I hunt here in New Jersey.

Comment

Cool video. I visited Martha's Vineyard and block island quite a few times as a kid on my fathers sailboat. Unfortunately I knew nothing about artifact hunting back then. I was wondering about the triangle he identified as a snappit. Are they know to come from that area. I was not familiar with the type so I looked them up. To me the point looks a whole lot like any other quartz triangle we find here in the northeast. Please excuse me if I sound like I am questioning his local knowledge.

New York

Comment

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            No problem, triangles are tough to separate by type at times. Boudreau suggested, in his section on Snappit points, that they will have grinding on the base, allowing one to at least distinguish them from Squibnocket triangles, though I think this one is outside the size range for Squibnockets in any event. Boudreau also suggests, based on his comparison of a great many Hardaway-Daltons( the New England variant of that Carolina type will get their own name if they are ever found in a dated context here), Snappit, and Squibnocket Triangle points, that the Snappit may be descended from the New England Hardaway-Dalton, and eventually developed into the Squibnocket triangle.

Believe me, I might have a hard time typing it as well, but would not say it looks like any other triangle from the Northeast, either. It's easier to distinguish among many, and harder to distinguish among some. I sent Bill a link to this thread, so perhaps he'll weigh in, since he has it in hand, and I don't.

Snappit is a fairly recent type name, found in New England, first described by Doucette in 2003 from examples excavated at Annasnappet Pond site, in Carver, Ma.

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            Just realized that's Bill's point from a screenshot you must have captured. Well, at the least, the base certainly resembles a Snappit base. It helps if you do have Boudreau's typology, so you can study his triangle comparison page.

Thanks for sharing that Charlie. Now I am anxious to hunt! Thanks a lot.
          South Dakota

Comment

Working...
          X