Lead and Iron: Explosive video!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead and Iron: Explosive video!

While I was digging in Virginia, I wondered to myself what it was like...standing on this hill Oct. 12th, 1863. The rebels took artillery fire by Union batteries located on the opposite ridge - Case shot, and solid shot was used on this position. Case shot was a round or bullet shaped shell that carried a powder charge inside, along with about 30 iron or lead balls. Iron was confederate, lead was union. When the shell flew over enemy positions, it exploded, sending the balls down onto the troops, making it one of the most deadly weapons in the war.

Here is a video I found showing two vantage points of Civil War repro shells, being fired. It is absolutely chilling to hear the shells coming, exploding, and hearing the shrapnel fly through the air.

Shrapnel I dug on the hill. If y'all didn't see my DIV post, head to the metal detecting section. I have some cool pics in there!

Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.png
Views:	57
Size:	881.7 KB
ID:	359046 Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled1.png
Views:	39
Size:	878.1 KB
ID:	359047 Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled2.png
Views:	49
Size:	913.4 KB
ID:	359048
    Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled3.png
Views:	38
Size:	889.9 KB
ID:	359049
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Very cool video. Since my great great grandfather was part of the First RI Light Artillary, I had always been curious at just how big such batteries were. I was very surprised to learn this morning that such a light artillary battery consisted of up to 170 men and 98 horses! I knew 6 cannon was the typical number for such a battery, but did not realize that many men were commanded by a battery captain. Also learned that the majority of casualties on both sides resulted from cannon batteries:

Rhode Island

Comment

During the war, my 3x great uncle, served with the 50th PA infantry. At Antietam, he, along with the regiment, marched through heavy artillery cross fire. Men had to lie down, crawl, and run, in order to avoid the shells whizzing above their heads. That part of the battlefield was known as artillery hell, with canister, case, and solid shot coming from both sides. To my knowledge, only 8 were killed, and a number of others were wounded. Here is more interesting info.

theirstoriescw.blogspot.com/2013/03/pennsylvania-at-antietam-part-1-50th.html
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Working...
    X