No announcement yet.

Nice Kitty!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would of jumped in my yak faster but my feet were stuck in mud to my shins. While I was trying to work my feet out I was waving my arms and yelling at it as it slowly turned many times I would wiggle my feet hard trying to get out. It was probably 5 minutes before it decided to leave but felt like an hour. It jumped out of a tree about 40 feet from me close enough to see its whiskers. When it jumped up the bank I jumped in my yak and left my water shoes in the mud. As I paddled down and away I could hear it in the weeds following me. It was something I never want to experience again and will never forget. Quartz creek isn't that far away from where it happened I always carry now. It would be hard to defend yourself with just a flipping stick which is all I had that day.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• flintguy
      flintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Feet stuck in the mud at that time? No thank you. Terrible timing. Maybe kept you from turning, stand your ground kind of thing, might have helped by chance.

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Nothing to throw just yelling and smacking my stick on my yak. It was intense and it had its ears down wagging it's long bushy tail but wasn't happy to see me.

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/10...-stalk-survive

Some excerpts:

The 26-year-old from Orem did everything he could think of to ward the mother cougar off. He knew not to turn his back to her. He knew to back away — but not too fast. He cursed, yelled, growled and grunted while she continued to follow him, flashing her teeth at him, her ears pinned, her tail swishing.....

Burgess said every time he took his eyes off her or tried to stoop down for a rock to throw at her, the mountain lion lunged at him, hissing. With each pounce, her front paws and claws flared. Her powerful hind legs kicked up dust and gravel.....

After those six minutes of terror and pure adrenaline, Burgess was finally able to pick up a rock and hurl it at the mountain lion. It nailed her, and that’s when she took off running back down the trail.

“Wow, that just happened,” Burgess recalled thinking after she finally took off. “Honestly right now it still feels like a dream.”....

Some viewers criticized him, others commended him for staying relatively calm and not running away. Officials with Utah’s Division of Wildlife Resources had nothing but praise for him.

“You did great,” Scott Root, DWR’s conservation outreach manager for central Utah, told Burgess on Monday, where they met at the Slate Canyon trailhead. “You did awesome.”

Root said DWR officers were notified of the encounter late Saturday night and came to the area Sunday morning to look for the mountain lions. But they never found them.

“So hopefully she’s moved on,” Root said.

Root, who first watched Burgess’ video early Monday, said it’s one of the most “emotional” and “terrifying” videos he’s ever seen of a mountain lion encounter.

“Oh man, you have to just stare at this thing,” he said, describing how he “didn’t even blink” while he watched. “Your heart is racing. I could feel myself putting myself in his position and (thinking), ‘What do I do? What would I do?’ And I know the steps, but what would the average person do?”

Root said Burgess did almost everything right. “He backed away. He didn’t go toward the mountain lion or her kittens. He made a lot of noise. ... He stayed large, he stayed loud and he backed away from the area for quite a while. I think he did everything really well.”....

Root said Burgess’ video is unlike anything he’s ever seen in his 30 years of working for DWR — and he said it’s going to be excellent teaching material. He hopes hikers and bikers learn from his experience....
    Rhode Island

Comment

A mother cougar like that wants no part of a conflict. She wanted to run him off. She instinctively knows that an injury to her likely equals death for her young ones.
      She only wanted to make sure he was leaving, and when he became a threat by actually throwing a rock and he was far enough from the babies, she left.

in 2000, my wife, 18 month old daughter, and I were in Yosemite park in February. We were on a hike to one of the sequoia groves pretty well off the beaten path that I had read about in a hiker’s guide. There was still a good amount of snow in places, and we had to hike through the black timber for a ways. There were no other people in the area at all, so I was really pumped about the hike. I had a backpack with some emergency supplies in it and a Buck knife I used to always carry when I flew because they wouldn’t let me carry a gun. I had it on and had my daughter on my shoulders, my wife followed along, mostly quiet, occasionally answering a question from my baby girl, just enjoying the serenity.

We had travelled about a mile and a half when my daughter wanted to get down and walk in the snow. I let her, knowing it wouldn’t last long before she was tired of it. My wife had moved ahead maybe 20 yards and our daughter was between us toddling along. I had noticed earlier an absence of wildlife, no squirrels, chipmunks, nothing. I got that feeling where every hair on the back of my neck stood up and my Spidey senses started tingling. Out of the corner of my eye, off to the left at 50 yards in the timber, moving parallel to us, something big and yellow, not an elk or deer... Three big steps and I scooped my daughter up and had her back on my shoulders. A quick whistle and my wife turned to see what I wanted. She knows me well, and we use hand signals a lot when we are in the woods because I don’t like making noise. I gave her the “look” and “cat” signals, and she came to me without rushing too much. I put my daughter on her shoulders and told her to stay in front of me and walk back to the trailhead, and if I yelled, for her to run and find help, but get to the car with our daughter. She knew I was serious and her momma bear instinct kicked in. As we walked purposefully back to the car, I could see the cat stalking us. It followed/paralleled our track all the way back to where we were parked, never more than 50 yards away, never closer than 20. It’s amazing how quiet an animal that large can be. I had my knife out and ready, just in case, but I thought an actual attack was now unlikely as my daughter on top of my wife looked very large, and me at 6’3”, 200lbs and wearing heavy clothes maybe didn’t look like an easy target. I know cats are smart and they measure situations carefully. I think it knew it would have had to go through me to get to them, as I kept myself between it and them at all times.

As we walked back we talked loudly and never got in a hurry, but never stopped or slowed down. I never let it get behind us, and at some point I think it knew I could see it and pretty much quit trying to even hide.

I have no doubts it was following us all along going out, and when I put my daughter down to walk in the snow it became more interested and maybe got a little careless, allowing me to see it. I’m fairly certain it was a male cat, and it was likely coming off a hard winter looking for an easy meal. We went back down into the Valley and found a ranger and told him what had happened, and he asked where we were and I told him...and he says “nobody goes up there this time of year, the gate on the road up there isn’t even supposed to be open...”

I think if that happened to me now I would have a heart attack and die. I don’t ever remember being so pumped up for so long.

Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

I saw some Panthers in Florida but they aren't as aggressive as the Georgia mountain lions. My buddy and I were hunting rabbits one time in Florida and saw 2 black panthers hunting rabbits as well. We just sat down and observed them for about 10 minutes. They must of got a wiff of us and ran off. It was cool watching them. Most cats are tan in Florida the black ones are very rare to see.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

That was an intense video. It would have been hard to keep my composure when the cat did that weird stomp/charge, that was wild.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I think he did good he told the story later! I am fascinated by cougars wish we still had some in N.C. I do insect, bird, animal ID here in WNC and at least have three people a year who come into the store with claims they saw a cougar in our state. There hasn’t been a wild cougar officially documented in N.C. since 1800. But do have several trustworthy friends who swear they have seen one. The eastern cougar is considered extinct. Lots of the sightings are supposedly black cougars. To my knowledge there has never been a black cougar ever recorded there genes don’t allow it if I’m not mistaken. The Tennessee wildlife department did say a few years ago that yes we do have a couple cougars in the state but they are probably pets that got away. There was one found in Connecticut a few years ago and a dna test was done on it and it walked all the way from South Dakota. One of my local NA sites is full of cougar bones there were everywhere here at one time but I believe there are officially no wild Panthers, cougars, mountain lions on the east coast outside of Florida but I kinda believe there’s a few out there.
            N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• flintguy
              flintguy commented
              Editing a comment
              A wildlife officer identified one in Ohio back in 2016 I think. They believe it might have been a young male traveling through. Some have been seen in Indiana. There is talk of them slowly moving east from the Rockies. We now have Bob cat, hybrid coyote/wolf and bald eagles everywhere here now (Ohio) so I wouldn't be too surprised if mountain lions start popping up.

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              The DNR's position has always been that there is no breading population of Cougar in the U.P. and the sightings are all misidentified animals. At the same time a DNR biologist has been watching and studying the cougars for more than four decades. Why do they lie to us. Now that trail cams are popular there are lots of photos of cougar.
              Last edited by Ron Kelley; 10-14-2020, 11:19 AM.

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              I posted some info below regarding the Ct. cougar, the cat that walked across America.

Well the state says there aren't gators or cottonmouths in this section of the state. I've seen one cottonmouth in lake Altoona and others have seen the big gator in that creek I used to wade in upto my waist. And yes I said used to. I still go there but usually take someone with me now if I go.
            NW Georgia,

Comment

A heroing adventure SH. I'm just happy you are okay. You made me think. As some of you know I hunt Mushrooms and get pretty far into the woods sometimes. Gonna start carring from here on. Thanks for the warning. Kim
              Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
                This happened in Utah this past weekend. The extreme profanity in the Instagram copy has been edited out. The guy never turned his back on the cat. Probably a good thing he did not. The actual start of the clip is a few seconds in, after the guy first spots the two cubs in the road. He was out for a run....

Thanks for posting that CMD. Kim
                Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

The story of the mountain lion that walked from the Dakotas to Ct., only to be struck and killed by a car....

https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-06-...-mountain-lion

——————————————————————————————————————————————-

The Heart of a Lion.....

Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                  X