Spherical Game Piece?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spherical Game Piece?

I found this a few yards from what I believe may be a burnt rock midden in Georgetown, TX. I have reviewed several posts on game pieces; however this sphere has the remnants of what looks like a ceramic material on the exterior. Let me know what you think.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	S1 [replaced].jpg
Views:	35
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	196275

Name:	1 [replaced].jpg
Views:	34
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	196276

Name:	2 [replaced].jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	196277

Name:	3 [replaced].jpg
Views:	56
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	196278

Take that thing outside and take the picture. Hit the flower icon on your camera too. Going to need clear pics for this. Thanks

Comment

Hi Rockdigger, I added three additional photos. They are just showing up as attachments on the bottom of the original post.  Thank you!

Comment

:welcome: Welcome INV83 to AH.com :welcome:
        I went ahead and inserted your additional pic's into your post.
        I am enjoying seeing your posts on the rock midden. And on the first pic here I see something in the background that deserves more attention. Also would love to see your other artifacts.
        Thanks for sharing!
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Welcome from Central Illinois. Game Ball? Well that is hard to say...there are lots of round stones out there. As Chase said, We would love to see more.
          Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Don't know if its a game ball or not but I think we can rule out deburring stone. Thanks.

Comment

I agree with the others , there is a lot of round rocks out there ....
              What I would like to see is polish on that rock before being able to say whether it is or it isn't a game ball ...
              But also knowing if it was found in a camp site or among other known artifacts, then we  would be able to give you a good answer
              As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
              NW Arkansas

Comment

Hello,
                I have attached additional photos in regards to the burnt rocks and the sphere. The majority of what I have found are scrapers, hand axes, and choppers. I have several boxes of bifacial material from this area, and a few jars of arrowhead pieces. I know the pictures are not great, but at least you can get an idea of what was found in relation to the other objects. There are a few other artifacts that I’ve had a hard time identifying, which I plan to post a separately.Thank you,

Name:	6 [replaced].jpg
Views:	33
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	196280

Name:	4 [replaced].jpg
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	196281

Name:	5 [replaced].jpg
Views:	38
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	196282

Comment

Welcome Justine.  You have some nice artifacts there.  I would think that given the round rock was found
                  where your other artifacts were found,  there is a good chance its a game ball.  Thanks for sharing.   Gary
                  South Dakota

Comment

Thank you, I appreciate everyone's input.

Comment

I wonder if the round one is an egg ! Bill the egg man can weigh in !  A geode or something similar ?

Comment

Great start to a collection.
                        It's in the stars, you're gonna find something spectacular any day.
                        Round stone may be natural but indigenous peoples picked up unusual stones too.
                        I see one "core" that is highly collectable.
                        Flake blade stuff.
                        Jess B.
                        It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                        It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                        Circa:1982

Comment

Working...
                        X