Burnt Rock Midden?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnt Rock Midden?

I found what may be a burnt rock midden. The burnt rocks cover a linear area of about 100 x 15 yards in length. It’s on the edge of three separate properties, and a road cuts through it. The photos I have viewed, and articles I’ve read online describe burnt rock middens as mounds with broken rocks tossed out to the sides. This does not fit the description; therefore I would appreciate your opinion on what this is. I have also been on the Gault Site tour not far from this property, and they showed an example of a burnet rock midden that looked different to what I have found. When my family bought the property, I assumed it was a wet weather creek until I started finding arrowheads, blanks and various tools on the surface of the property and took a closer look.
    Some of the rocks are buried and some are on the surface. There are also non -burnt rocks in the same area. Some of the rocks look like there is a residue of organic material and the majority of the rocks have cuts into them as shown in the photo. There is a field on one side, so I also thought that perhaps the cuts came from a plow. What do you think?
    Also, I’m not suggesting that the sphere was used with it, I’m just showing depth.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_8572.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	196269

Thank you!

Were they found right on top ??  And if so dig down and see if there is any below the surface ...
    they may be the result of a forest fire
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

Hello, do you have any pics of your points and other tools found at your site. Do they look the same way?

Comment

Hi, thank you for the response. I initially thought that there was a forest fire, but started to question that, because the burned rocks are only in a vertical pattern and a lot are burned all the way around, especially the smaller ones. I do know of some property close by that caught on fire recently, so I will take a look at the rocks in that area to compare. That gives me something to look into, so thanks for the suggestion. Also, I only dug one hole, and found two burned rocks about 6-12 inches below the surface, which is where I threw in the towel…LOL. I will make a point to dig more next weekend. Thanks!

Comment

Hi Stasdab,
          None of the points, drills etc. look like they were in a fire, but that is coming from someone who has only seen one fire-burned artifact and it was pink. There is one small scraper/knife that looks fairly shiny, and slightly discolored, but I’m leaning towards patina. I also found one blank near the burnt rocks that has black spots all over it, but not sure if that’s mold . That piece has a sharp break. I will try to upload some photos of those two. Thank you.

Comment

Well they certainly look burnt but sorry I can't venture a guess as to how or why. I would love to see some of your arrowheads and especially the drills.
            Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Working...
            X