Several Arrowheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several Arrowheads

Several field fresh arrowhead finds here that I'm interested in getting any information on. I help clients in my local community and church sell their items online and have very little knowledge as to the value or correct terminology to list these pieces. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you.

[Moderator's Note: The original poster appears to have deleted the item referred to in the reply below]

This, is not a highly valuable item.
    The "flint" is exotic and 100's of knap masters purchase their materials abroad.
    Many replicas are made in India and other places around the world.
    The "rainbow " flint looks like some of the S.American or India stuff.
    The blade on the one you have posted is well made, so it could have been made domestically.
    The wrapping is somewhat undesirable.
    The rawhide looks to be glued.
    Elk horn? Well it could be. It does appear to be horn.
    Made by Cherokee doubtful but not impossible.
    There is nothing that screams valuable.
    These are sold in trade shows, Gem and mineral shows Artifact shows and knapping shows.
    Value is about 35-60.00$.
    Jessy B.
    It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
    It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
    Circa:1982

Comment

First and foremost, thank you for your reply and time sharing your knowledge on this piece.
      I got this piece from one of the gentleman I go to church with.  I have a online business that helps individuals who use me as a broker. These individuals never use the internet to sell their items, or hate to sell things in fear of scams, tire kickers, etc.  in which they consign their pieces to me.  I have several church's who use my services to raise money from their congregations by having their members donate items that I in return sell online and then give the proceeds to the church on the donors behalf.  Just another method the church receives their tithing from those who are out of work or just want to get their garages cleaned out,etc. This is how I got this piece.  When a item such as this comes my way without words to Google on it, I have to come to sites and forums like this to get help.
      The gentleman who gave me this is a prominent long time member and devout Christian of our church  He is Native American and I feel he was telling me exactly what he was told when he bought it.  I'm sure that it was a trade show he bought it at and he could have very well been "Snow Blowed" by the seller but he is a avid arrowhead collector and nowhere near a novice having collected for over 25 years now.  He said he thought it may have a value between $100-$500 but thought I should go on this site to get others opinions first because the market has changed considerably since the economy has changed in past few years. 
      Can you tell me if this flint can originally be found here in US?  Is it called "Rainbow Flint"? Is it rather large in comparison to other Flints of this same style, color, etc. or average?  How could I verify it is locally hand made in USA versus mass produced from India, etc.?

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Central Illinois. I think Jessy has pretty much covered it. The stone does look like an import from India and pieces like this can be had on Ebay for around 10 dollars without the hafting. In fact, Ebay is flooded with them. I have never heard the term "Rainbow" to describe a native material. It could have been knapped here by a Cherokee from imported stone but I doubt it and even if  you could verify that it is a Native made modern piece that would not really enhance the value. I would consider this to be a decorative piece with little collector value.
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

What Key word would I use to locate other like this on ebay?  I'm trying to use the correct terminology when posting the flint.

Comment

I typed in Flint Knife and found some. Not the same material but similar style. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Midnight-Lac...item2a369cdb30

Comment

I guess I will just post it as "Rainbow Colored" but If anyone could help give more specifics on what the flint is actually classified as I would be most grateful.  I'll break the news to my client that it isn't nearly as valuable or unique as he thought.  It is a little odd that I can't find other multicolored flints like this in google images/ebay etc.  I guess this is a trade show specialty item that stays off the net radar.

Comment

This is not the same but it will give you a range of colors that are out there.

I would only ask one thing. When you do post it to be sold, that it is understood that it is a fake, a modern replication. If you are looking for a word to describe the "Flint" call it an exotic material.
                Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

India Agate can come in lots of colors. Here is a link to some more colorful ones. http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...152581794.html

Comment

This is most helpful.  Thank you for helping me to identify this exotic material.
                    Here is what I put in posting:

Indian Agate Flint with Elk Horn Handle knapped in the Archaic Style. It measures 9 and 1/2" long with the knapped flint measuring 4 and 1/2"(to the bone handle)and the Elk horn handle is 5". I believe the flint has to be about 5" when you count the flint inside the handle. I was told it was made by a Cherokee Indian and it isn't that old. It is a exotic material called Indian Agate and is a replica made in today's era. Comes with real leather hide sheath. Please make a reasonable offer on this piece by texting or calling me at 256-694-0194. Thank you.
                    Hope this stays true to the piece without deceiving buyer.

Comment

Thanks for everybody's help.

Comment

I will get my sister to send me pics of her artifacts so I can get more information from this forum.  She has some really unique pieces and has no ide what they are, their value, and has very little knowledge of how to operate a computer.

I got this piece from my sister who is computer illiterate.

It's a counterweight banner stone for the atlatl weapon I believe. If anyone could help me to verify this and possibly what value it has, my sister and I would be greatly appreciative. My sister received it along with several other pieces from a customer she helped for many years when she was a waitress. Customer knew she was a avid arrowhead hunter and how much she would appreciate this piece.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_9353 [replaced].jpg
Views:	35
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	198714 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_9354 [replaced].jpg
Views:	32
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	198715 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_9355 [replaced].jpg
Views:	34
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	198716 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_9356 [replaced].jpg
Views:	35
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	198717 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_9357 [replaced].jpg
Views:	34
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	198718 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_9358 [replaced].jpg
Views:	33
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	198719

Comment

Good luck with your business.  Maybe you should think about advertising on this forum.  Costs just a little Indian Agate and is great exposure! :woohoo:

Professor Shellman
                          Tampa Bay

Comment

>>>o2verylucky wrote: I got this piece from my sister who is computer illiterate.

It's a counterweight banner stone for the atlatl weapon I believe. If anyone could help me to verify this and possibly what value it has, my sister and I would be greatly appreciative. My sister received it along with several other pieces from a customer she helped for many years when she was a waitress. Customer knew she was a avid arrowhead hunter and how much she would appreciate this piece.<<<

in a way it looks modern to me in my opinion. could be wrong though. maybe someone else will chime in and help.

Comment

i agree, im no expert either, but the hole looks too smooth with no apparent drilling marks.it is cool though, but hard to tell from pics.
                              call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Working...
                              X