Point I.D. Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point I.D. Help Please

Hey Folks, wondering if you had any opinions on the types of these two recent finds. I found them both in west central Va. Both have some basal grinding, the second is heavily ground around the base and up to the resharpened area on both sides. Both of them have me stumped. I appreciate any opinions or comments.

I will give it a try.
    1. Yadkin-Eared - Woodland to Mississippian 2,500 - 500 BP
    2. Guildford Yuma - Early Archaic 7,500 - 5,000 BP
    Jack

Comment

first looks like a Nolichucky  woodland 3,000 - 1,500 years before present
      other one LOOKS to be a Jacks reef pentagonal Late Woodland through Mississippian 5,000 - 3,000 bp
        :woohoo: but its not  :woohoo:  i think it may actualy be a Pelican Transitional Paleo 10,000 - 6,000 b.p
      JACKS REEF PENTAGONAL ARE A SMALL TO MEDIUM TYPE     
      Due to it small size and that would explain my wondering what was wrong in ITS flaking style i the other picture i commented on -and- that i saw these in
      killer find !     by the books ive never found a paleo arrowhead unless my agnostura is actualy a agate basin
      i did how ever find a dalton classic back when overstreet considered them to be transitional paleo  lol
      wonder what changed that theory
      :dry:

Comment

That is interesting, will look those up.
        Jack

Comment

Great find! Cant help with properly idenifying or dating but the pentegontal one on the bottom looks olllllddd! :woohoo:  Whats your opinion on what they may be if you have any. Im sure this will bring out the books. Nice finds-Kenny

Comment

Matthew
            No Nolichucky Culture in West Central Va. Where you coming up with this info?
            No Jack Reefs Pentagonal or Pelican culture in West Central VA. Where you coming up with this info?
            A lot of artifacts look similar but are  not the same. You have to look at the region that these were found in and compare it to the known lithic group from that area. You are comparing these items to a lithic group that is not known to be in the state of Va.
            Regards,
            Jack

Comment

Thanks for weighing in fellows, I appreciate your opinions. As far as I know there is some Nolichucky types in swest Va., I think Yadkin eared is a good possibility as well. The second point I agree has a JR Pentagonal form but it's not really thin like a typical Pentagonal. The early flaking and heavy grinding make me think it's possibly a resharpened lanceolate type, jmo, thanks again for the help.

Comment

The first photo looks like a Copena 4000-1200 B.P.      the second photo looks like Jacks Reef Pentagonal 1500-1000 B.P.

Comment

Working...
                X