lithic core?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lithic core?

Hello everyone, I found this today when I was looking for artifacts in the mountains near Monte Vista, Colorado. I stumbled across this huge chunk of Chalcedony, it was right next to an old campfire pit. It weighs a 1/2 pound and looks like flakes have been removed. I'm wondering if this is a lithic core.

Incredible material!!

Comment

Looks like the inside of a chalcedony geode and their skins are generally thin and the bubbly material doesn't lend itself to knapping but could still be used as a flake knife if it's worked along that top right edge.  Or they could have used the parts removed that were knappable.  Botryoidal mineral formation.  Killer specimen. :woohoo:  Our FL agate chalcedony, agatized coral, often has the same botryoidal formations when you break open a large chunk and there is a void inside.  Beautiful.  That's usually gem quality chalcedony.  Cryptocrystalline Quartz!
      Silicon Dioxide.   I'd pick that up today and they would have, too, LOL.
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

Yes, it is what Tom says. It doesn't look to be a used core but maybe was being tested for potential use.

Comment

Love that material. I would have picked that up if I found it. Native American would have done the same.
          Jack

Comment

Like to see a piece made from that! :cheer:  I found something unususal today, thought is was glass, then petrified wood, fos. bone, and then noticed it is transluscent and possibly none of the above mentioned....i guess?! :unsure:  Will post later to see if ya'll can help....nice chunk you found!, Happy huntin'-Kenny

Comment

Thanks you guys, I really love finding stuff like this, I will look for any pieces that may have been removed the next time I'm back down there.

Comment

That is a cool material.  We have a lot of that around here too, and there are a ton of geodes near the area we find this stone too.  I would go back, and look around for rough looking round cobbles, take them home and break them open.  I would advise a lapidary saw instead of breaking it with a hammer, I've done it before and destroyed some beautiful geodes.  Here is an example I polished that I found near my home.

Comment

Tyson thats a beautiful stone. Looks almost to good to be natural. What causes that -and- how do you polish it? Very nice! Joe.

Comment

I believe it has to do with volcanic activity?  I am not really sure, maybe someone knows more about Geodes?  I use a lapidary machine to polish it.  It's for cutting and making cabochons.  I have a five gallon bucket full of more geodes like this one, but my buddy and I have to buy some new diamond wheels to do some more.

Comment

Mac - I agree with Jack. I wouldn't care if it was an artifact or not, I'd a picked it up and brought it home.  Really nice looking material.  Tyson - that is rock is off the chain.  Now I know why my archaeologist friend wants me to try and find him some larger core/spal type material that is grey to black from our area.  He cuts it polishes it.  Don't know what he does with it then tho.  ---Chuck
                      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Working...
                      X