Scottsdale Points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottsdale Points

I mentioned in another thread that I had some items with old labels indicating they were from "Allegeti Serpent, Near Scotsdale, Arizona 2300 - 1500 BC" [sic].
    Well, here they are.
    Welcome any information on these - especially the last one. Also, what exactly is the Allegeti Serpent and what's the correct spelling? Is it a stretch of river, a canyon, a creek or what? Which tribe inhabited this area? Nothing comes up on a Google search, even with spelling variations, so I guess it might be an archaic name no longer in use or maybe a local nickname. Anyone from Scottsdale out there?

Thanks for looking
    Roger
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

The darker, shinier material is Dacite, and the more grainy black material is Basalt.  Not sure about the other materials, and the last one looks like a broken point.  Most likely a corner of a notched dart point or knife.  They all look like Late Archaic, and maybe even into the historic period.  Not sure of the location, never heard of it?

Comment

Roger
      These all look modern except for the bottom one. Looks like they were made by the same person or group of people doing production run knapping, all are knapped very much alike, only thing that changed is the shape. There is no edge work on any of these. These look similar to modern Mexican made arrowheads that are sold at tourist stops all over the southwest part of the U.S.
      I used to collect artifacts from Arizona and spent two or three weeks each year there and there is no place called Allegeti Serpent that I know of.
      Regards,
      Jack

Comment

Thanks Tyson and Jack... I'm learning so much here... and that's exactly what I hoped this forum would give me.
        Jack: I also have three items labelled as from the Mississippi Valley, Texas which I will post shortly under a separate thread of that title. I would very much appreciate your views on these if you have the time.
        Both of these groups clearly came from the same (inexperienced and probably UK based?) collector originally.... they were accompanied by faded typewritten labels in the same style and format with additional annotation in the same handwriting. They were purchased as job lots some 20-30 years ago, but the labels look a bit earlier - circa late fifties or early sixties I would say.
        Best wishes
        Roger
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
        X