Found this week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found this week

I found this while we were digging a basement for my daughter. It was in the woods that have never been cleared (Green Co Ky). It is very dark grey, slightly translucent with a grainy patern. Also it sparkles when you shine a light on it. Additionally it has a slight spiral or twist to it. I check the ID guide but didn't come up with anything other than possibly Brunswick. Any ideas, also what is it made of.
    David

Brunswick or possibly Matanzas? Looks like quartz like material. Are you related to Tom Davis? Mark.

Comment

Mark
      Thanks for the information. Asking around here if I'm related to Tom Davis is a little vague. There are four that live within a couple of miles. Do you have any other information about him?
      David

Comment

He is a authenticator from Kentucky. I believe he has been doing it longer than most all of them. He also has a son named Dave! Just a coincidence! Mark.

Comment

cant really tell flaking from pic.  Material looks like a quartzite.  point type possibilities may be beaver lake, sublet ferry, candy creek.  If beaver lake, I would definitely clear that area a little more.

Comment

Turkeytail, I'll do some more checking on Tom, if he is a relative it sure would be handy and informative.
              Lithophylic, Here are a few more pictures that might help. I thought about beaver lake but the one thing that throws me off is the concave base, other than that I think it fits. As far as candy creek I think this one is smoother than what I see in the ID guide, also the basel shape is different. The basel shape I think is the key, the sides fit with beaver lake, I just don't know. Any others out there that might have any ideas? All thought are welcome.
            David

Comment

I'm going to worry everyone to death on this one. While going through some of my old points I ran across one that I'm certain is a beaver lake (top one). After compairing the two they are nothing alike. The base isn't ground like the beaver lake, it is thinner and the flaking is different. So I'm back to the brunswick on this one.
              David

Comment

Working...
              X