Slight Stemmed Archaic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slight Stemmed Archaic?

This is one of my recent finds in southeast Ohio, the base is lightly ground, probably 5/8" thick, and I believe is of local material. Hothem's book shows it to be a Slight Stemmed-Archaic. What's the panel think? Thanks for the replies. Paul

Hey Paul, looks to me like it may be a form of "Morrow Mountain" type. Though they are not over plentiful in Ohio, there has been some found, more common in the southern midwest states. Middle Archaic, and I haven't seen material like that before in our home state, but it sure is purdy!!! They are more plentiful in Tenn. and Alabama, but either way that is one beautiful piece.
      Myself? thought I might at least get to hunt some sand bars along Beech Creek today but got another 2 inches of rain last night, been a dismal spring for hunting in the NE. More like living in Seattle!!!-Bill

Comment

wmwallace wrote:

Hey Paul, looks to me like it may be a form of "Morrow Mountain" type. Though they are not over plentiful in Ohio, there has been some found, more common in the southern midwest states. Middle Archaic, and I haven't seen material like that before in our home state, but it sure is purdy!!! They are more plentiful in Tenn. and Alabama, but either way that is one beautiful piece.
        Myself? thought I might at least get to hunt some sand bars along Beech Creek today but got another 2 inches of rain last night, been a dismal spring for hunting in the NE. More like living in Seattle!!!-Bill
        Bill, Near my house is several chert/flint deposits, with a few different colors and grades. I find a lot of this brownish flint here, so I believe it's local. Thanks for the look. Paul

Comment

Paul, I read an article on an Obryan Chert type that is native to Ohio and overlooked as far as usage in many archie records. If you search "Flint and Chert types Ohio" the article will come up. Can't remember if there was pics of the material or not, but might be worth a look for a little research anyways.-Bill

Comment

Paul - first let me compliment you on your photos.  Excellent quality and focus.  Leaves nothing to the imagination.  Have to agree with Bill that is some very nice looking material.  I did a quick check of my stuff and I've got nothing like that.  Wonder if it could be patination that causes that color.  Kinda reminds me of chocolate.  I also lean towards Morrow Mountain. ---Chuck
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Looks like river polish -and- river patination on this one. Nice point.
            Jack

Comment

Scorpion68 wrote:

Paul - first let me compliment you on your photos.  Excellent quality and focus.  Leaves nothing to the imagination.  Have to agree with Bill that is some very nice looking material.  I did a quick check of my stuff and I've got nothing like that.  Wonder if it could be patination that causes that color.  Kinda reminds me of chocolate.  I also lean towards Morrow Mountain. ---Chuck
                Thanks Chuck, I learned from reading on here how to use the "macro setting", it really helps. And yes, the material is a chocolate color, and there's tons of it here, from points, scrapers, blanks, to huge chunks, so it was plentiful in this area.
              Jack, yes, it's been in the creek for awhile, so it's got polish, but it also has some stain on it from the iron in the water. Old coal mines!
              Thanks, Paul

Comment

Working...
              X