What the heck????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the heck????

Found this today on the TN river. Pulled it from under a tree root hanging from a bluff on the river bank. Tons of flint chips and flakes in this area. This is made from hard stone, not flint or chert.  One side looks partially worked, and the other not (smooth)   I think this was a tool (used as large scraper, knife etc.) but not a significant artifact.  I would like some opinions. Pleas excuse the crappy pictures---I did my best
      Thanks

pic 2

Comment

pic 3

Comment

pic 4

Comment

pic 5

Comment

Is pic 5 the worked edge? percussion bulb in 4? pretty neat. I would have picked it up.- Kenny

Comment

Yes, that is the worked edge. What is percussion bulb? Sorry to be a dummy--still learning--Thnanks Kenny---Tim

Comment

bulb of percussion: a raised rounded area on the ventral surface of a conchoidal flake directly below the striking platform.

Comment

Looks like a spal. The natives were knocking pieces of chert off it.
                  Jack

Comment

Sure does look like one to me, Jack.-Kenny

Comment

I agree with the panel, nice big piece too. Could have been used for a knife with the flat side perfect for leverage and forcing the worked edge down on surface to be cut.-Bill

Comment

I call them quarry blanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X