Maidu / Martis points and tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maidu / Martis points and tools

I took y'alls advice and have been doing my homework. Got me a library card for the first time in 35 years! My wife just about fell over.  Long story short, it looks like we are dealing with what was originally a Martis complex winter camp and later a Maidu ( Nisenan) settlement.  I'll spare for now the long list of evidence I think we have and just say based on the number of mortars, it was a pretty large/ old camp. I'd like to share some pieces from a few test holes we took from the midden mound around the main bedrock mortar outcrop.  First picture will have the points we believe to be from the Maidu:  A green gunther, half a crystal gunther, broken black obsidian point, and a bottom half of a little side notch something or other.  A real pretty clear terminated quartz crystal. Hard to see in pic. A little red/rainbow knife, and then a couple of preforms or just conveniently shaped chips?.?.  Next two pictures are just showing the light through some of the transparent pieces.  Last picture is the Martis complex stuff: 3 basalt points/ knives , a couple of drills/ perforators?, and lastly what I call the Martis multi-tool; a scraper, knife, spokeshave and drill/ perforator.  I know the last one will bring some doubt, but from what I've read and seen, it's right in line with Martis style tools.

I'd love to hear any thoughts or comments.

I'm not familiar with the history of your area but sounds like your on the right path to learning about the habitation and artifacts to be found there, Good looking stuff! Thanks for sharing and good luck on the path of learning!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

That's a really interesting assortment of materials and tools! It's nice to have that kind of diversity in a site... it'll be great to see what else comes out of there. Keep us posted!

Comment

You've got a few nice brokes there and a variety of material.

Comment

I am still trying to learn the different material types as I'm new at all this.  The ones I think I know are the green jasper gunther, the yellow jasper preform, and i think from what I've read that the blue and white preform is quartzite.  What I don't know is the material type of the red knife and the brown/ clear bottom half broken point.  If anyone can identify these materials from the pictures I've posted, that would be great.  There are a few other types of chippage that keep showing up in our screening that maybe I can post pictures of later just so I can learn all the different names.  Then I'd like to figure out where they all came from originally.  Maybe Southfork could help me with this someday as I am in his neck of the woods and, well lets face it, Dennis must have about 100 examples of every point of every material ever made in that region.  Any help and advice is always appreciated.  Thanks everyone!

Comment

• south fork
            south fork commented
            Editing a comment
            I may have 100 examples of every point but like you I only wonder what they're made from. The green point looks like a Rose Spring your finding some nice material.

I like the green one.  Sorry its broken
          South Dakota

Comment

I liked reading your post. I have found many points and scrapers like the ones you show. Some Maidu, but some much older - Martis Culture. I live about 7 miles from Auburn, Ca on Auburn Ravine. -Tony

Comment

That green Gunther is incredible. I love that. 👍👍👍
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
              X