No announcement yet.

Petrified Bone? Antler? Or just a rock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrified Bone? Antler? Or just a rock?

I posted these when I first came to this site in the blogs, but would like some more opinions if you please. I found these in southern Ohio, several years and miles apart, but both were found near campsites and other artifacts. They are stone, or seem to be, and both pieces seem to be ground and flattened on opposite sides. Possibly not an artifact, but would like to know if anyone has found anything similar, or may have an opinion of what they could be. Thanks, Paul

Darker one looks like it was a flaking tool, the other one??? Dont know much bout bone artifacts but Both look to be artifacts!

Comment

Well, looks like you're asking all the right questions, ph.
      Just my WAGs, and I'll pretty much agree with turkeytail,
      the darker one does look like an artifact, the lighter one, maybe not?
      It would be nice to see some pics of the larger broken end on the darker one
      but I think the key here is going to be identifying the material.
      For instance, the lighter one looks like it might be a schist. If that's the case
      then schist is too soft and crumbly to make much of a tool so that would
      weigh in favor of geofact. Now don't misunderstand when I say "soft" rock.
      Even a "soft" rock can feel pretty hard. It's rock afterall.
      And both of these have been water-worn, making it harder to tell.
      You could try scratching them, first with a pocket knife, and then a sturdy sharp
      piece of quartz. If either one scratches the lighter one, then it's probably schist,
      and probably a geofact.
      The darker one is going to take more looking at but it would be good to know the
      hardness of it, too.
      Like I like to say, "Take 'em to the lab!"
      JoeM

Comment

They look like pieces of "bone pins" to me, especially the sharper one, either bipoint projectile, hair/clothes pin or whatever else they used them for.  Split bone, sharpened and smoothed.
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

Ya know, looking at these again, they do look a lot alike.
          Bone pins would be pretty darn cool.
          I must have my other glasses on now. :side:
          JoeM

Comment

Sorry guys, been having trouble with my camera and cannot seem to get a good pic of the ends of these. I'll keep trying. Other than color, they are almost exactly the same, rounded on two sides and flat on the opposite sides. And yes, they do scratch fairly easily, so maybe a schist, but I do think they were altered by man. If not, no big deal. Thanks for the input guys, it's appreciated. Paul

Comment

Working...
            X