Couple items I am not sure about.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple items I am not sure about.

Have been walking one spot and because whole points have been elusive have been picking up all sorts of "stuff" just to bring home and examine. The pile at the bottom right of the first pic are pottery pieces. Anyway...need thoughts on the two items in the next two pics after that!
    Thanks,
    Travis

Travis
    They look like natural rock, do not see humna workmanship on them.
    Jack

Comment

The pink one looks like it could be a knife. The bottom would of been attached to a handle for cutting. Dont throw that one away. The rest look like cores and natural rocks.

Comment

Is it possible the small pieces on the bottom right of the bowl in pix #1 are potsherds.
        Butch

Comment

I think that is what they are Butch. On one side they have a ridged pattern to them! Not real sure how to describe it.
          Travis

Comment

Take a couple close ups they look like stamped pottery pieces, you may be on a village or campsite.
            Butch

Comment

Thank you for the replies Butch! I think that it may well be a camp/village site. It is on a small hill between two creeks and about 500 yards above the river. One other gentleman has been hunting the site..found out he got in two weeks before me and took away some good points.
              The potshards..not a great close up but you maybe able to make out the almost diamond like pattern on the two at right.

The only points pices I have found so far!

Comment

The group of four pics looks like Flint Run Jasper quarry debitage, it outcrops south of Front Royal in the Shenandoah Valley. The pinkish quartzite piece after those look likes part of a knife or tool. I'd agree with pottery shards, you can see some bits of shell in one piece, typical shell mixed Mississippian ware. JMO, nice Va. finds Travis.

Comment

Sounds like a prime spot, be sure to check it after the next rain. The potsherd (not potshard touchy subject) in the bottom right looks cordmarked or stamped. The points, top right broken triangle...bottom looks like a preform, incomplete point... the one on the left can't tell if has been worked maybe a just triangle shaped rock. Keep lookin'
                  Butch

Comment

Looks like a great little spot! You will be able to tell a lot about the
                    "who and when" by the pottery. That little black triangle arrowhead is
                    definitely associated with the pottery, and some of the others may be too.
                    That bottom right shaerd does look to be cord-marked, and has a crushed quartz temper.
                    That will help give you a time period for that type.
                    Thanks for the info on the Flint Run Jasper, Ryan.
                    JoeM

Comment

Found this link might be interesting to you.

Comment

Theres a couple things I've noticed about your little collection, so I highlighted two of interest.  The first one, is that the same point you posted in that second picture of 3 points?  that one does seem to be worked, but considering the grainy nature of the material, probably quartzite, I'd need to see a more detailed, well lit picture to be sure. 
                        The second one, appears very black and glassy, like obsidian. Though it could also be slag.  Any chance of a better picture of that too?

Comment

JoeM wrote:

Great link Joe, thanks for adding that. Travis , disregard my earlier assessment of the pottery it does appear to be Page culture, late woodland.

Comment

Joe Great link I am bookmarking that one.
                            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I don't think that is Obsidian in that bucket. I don't think it is found this far east. I think the furthest east is in South Dakota and it only one site. That could be Slag from an Colonial era Iron Furnace or Coal. Like to just say you have some nice finds there.
                              Matt
                              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                              X