Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old find. Ear spool or geofact?????????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old find. Ear spool or geofact?????????????

Found this 12 or 13 years ago. Was going through my "may be something?" box today and was thinking this "may" be ear spool??? Found on known campsite were Greg and I hunted. Probably just rock! Mark. Looks like it may have been ground in middle? Opinions?!?!

Prehistoric pacifier.
    Just kidding, if it is an earplug it was poorly made.  Has a cool shape though.
    My "may be something" box has officially turned into 3 boxes

Comment

I would say a rock, but could have been used as an ear plug, if native wanted to.
      Jack

Comment

When in doubt take it home and clean it up! ever know!!! (used to have several boxs too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Comment

Ha!  I don't even see the second pic as being the same piece as the first, third, and fourth.  Photos can be deceiving and I don't even have a guess.  I haven't been right yet, as far as that goes.  I would have guessed an ear spool.  See what I mean?
          Pam

Comment

I aint looked at it in 5 or 6 years.Was bored today and remembered were I put it. Just thought it looked ground in middle. BACK TO THE BOX!!!!!! Thanks Jack!

Comment

I had several boxes but as time went on I got rid of the boxes and just started using compound buckets. Working my way up to 55 gallon drums! LOL
              We used to dig a site that would produce small oval shaped very smooth quartz stones obviously from the river about 150 feet down a steep bank. Found a hundred easy. Not a peck mark on them too small for hammers. I had a theory these were placed into intestine and tied off the used like a bolo.  My theory never really caught on but I am working on an article. The Indians brought those up that hill for something.
              If you find it on a site and it is unusual they probably had it or used it for something or another. I am going out on a limb here gonna say the Eff word, eff's in the true sense of the word maybe the exceptional piece that is found only in museums. But some of the posts from a few here make sense. They are finding this stuff in association with known artifacts so why not be a child's toy or just a thing of beauty for them to look at. They didn't have TV to stare at so why not stare at a pretty rock in the moonlight while dad is off hunting or stealing ponies!
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Agree Hoss, they liked "cool" rocks too. Have found some strange, out of place rocks on sites. That is what is so great about this hobby....anybody can make a reasonable hypothesis and who is to say they are wrong?! I have believed in the toy theory you talk about for a long while now. Also have been laughed at about it? Thing that gets me is the ones who laughed wouldnt know a clovis from a madison!

Comment

geofact, notice the layers, the layers at the end are less dense than the middle layer, resulting in the middle layer being more erroded than the rest.

Comment

Working...
                  X