Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought at an antique store...are they real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought at an antique store...are they real?

Bought these for $25 at a local antique shop in north Alabama. The antique dealer didn't know much about them and I think he got them at an estate sell. The points look real to me but what about the clay pieces? If they are fakes, they will still look good hanging on a wall. Any info you potentially tell me about these will be appreciated.

Can't answer your question PaleoJosh but fake or not, they sure look good to me. I'd hang them on my wall. I'll be interested in what others have to say. ...Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

All kinds of things can be made with plaster paris I tell Ya. Most of the points look old/good from the pic though.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

I cant tell from the pic's first pic the look modern the other side looks like they are real.
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Well I see some points that are questionable, some not so much and the Gorgets are most likely fakes... The Gorgets play off of true mississipian period iconography but are just incorrect imo being clay, plaster whatever they are... The bird has a mix of motifs used in mississipian times but ive never seen one with that Eagle depiction. The points that worry me are the ones that have long vertical flakes running from the base towards the tip... As if they were made from flakes. If it were just one it would be less suspicious but the fact that there are many like that is worrisome.
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• JoshinMO
            JoshinMO commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, may be clay. Either way I gotta run, eat some cocoa puffs. Jokes aside, if a few of the points are authentic it's a good buy.

• Kyflintguy
            Kyflintguy commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol took me a second to catch that Josh. I agree at the cheap price a few good points would compensate. Really needs a good local collector go through them see what's going on there. Id be interested in what Joe says, he knows bama points well.

I have to agree with Chase. The points in the first photo all appear to be modern except 1 or possibly 2. The Second photo appears to have all authentic points except 1 or 2. The circular discs are most likely fake.

Comment

I'm just a novice but some of those points sure look squirrelly, like a knapper gone amok. I'll leave it to others like Chase, the Joshes, Matt & others to make that call. Interesting collection regardless...
            Child of the tides

Comment

• JoshinMO
              JoshinMO commented
              Editing a comment
              Lot's of Joshes around here now, heh

They could be re-chips meaning someone took old broken artifacts and tried to re shape them into something the resembles a point. Because some are noticeably altered just from the pjotos. I have doubts about the provenance on any of them. Back in the 80's my Dad bought a Keyhole gorget that had Mississippian influenced art on it. The weeping eye and the dancing bird man the spider. It looked just like black slate. Maybe 1/4 to 3/8" thick. After my Dad had passed I re found that thing in a drawer. It had started to decompose and turn into a bile of white powder.. with black outer part mixed in. The substance left reminded me of ash I used to find while digging in bottle dumps.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Can't say anything with confidence about the second group without better pics, but looks like every single piece in the first group are modern.

Comment

I think the first are all modern reproductions, and not very good at that. The second group maybe has some good ones, but some are questionable as well.
                South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                X