Flint info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flint info

Hello everyone, I had a little time the other day to sneak out and hit my favorite spot. I was about to quit, so I got excited when I saw a large piece of flint sticking out of a mud bank. I was less excited once I pulled it out and washed it off . Other than it being a beautiful chunk of flint (Cochocton?) no real obvious shape to it. I though about throwing it back in, but on closer inspection it does look to have a few large percussion flakes taken off and one edge has some possible “nibbles”. Also there is no cortex left on it. My question to those of you with more geology/flint napping knowledge, could this happen naturally? I can imagine a freezing/thawing cycle breaking off hunks but would it have this type of flaking appearance. Open to any comments. Thanks.
    Last edited by flintguy; 12-31-2016, 12:14 AM.
    Central Ohio

It could be the final core remnant of a much larger piece that got all used up making points and tools.

Comment

I would have brought that puppy home! Then again, my driveway is paved with "dogs".
      Last edited by Havenhunter; 12-31-2016, 08:52 AM.
      Child of the tides

Comment

Don't think worked but hard to tell, I would have brought it home too.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

to me it looks like natural breaks from tumbling around for many thousands of years

from what i can see(or more importantly cant see) in the pics,there doesnt seem to be any signs of knapping.
          no bulbs of percussion,no intentional platforms etc

Comment

Flintguy - I find lots of those in my hunting area. They're spalls that are left over after the NA's got most of what they wanted from the larger piece. I bring them home for the wifes flower garden, which is now a rock garden Heh Heh!! ...Chuck
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Thought about it being a core, but didn't look right, knew it wasn't a blank or preform. Didn't really think about a spent core/spall. Thank you everybody for the thoughts.
              Central Ohio

Comment

Working...
              X