Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to this all- Need help making sure I'm picking up what I need to be...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to this all- Need help making sure I'm picking up what I need to be...

Hey all! I've been kicking around dirt clods in fields since I was a kid and found some points over the year, but we acquired some property a few years back just up river from a well known indian camp that was used at least as far back as 1000 AD. You can't take a step without kicking over flint rock about 500 yards up from the river (above where it would historically flood) and I started noticing that a whole bunch of that the bigger pieces of rock had been worked at least a little (definite ripples, impact bulbs). So I started lurking around the forums to try to figure out what I was looking at and have collected a smattering of pieces that I'd like some help on determining if I'm on the right track in what I'm looking for. Since I'm putting multiple questions (or seeking confirmations) on different pieces in this post, I've lettered them hoping makes it easier to comment. Right now, my biggest concern is just making sure I can correctly identify what's actually been worked vs. natural occurring rock.
    All pieces are from west central Texas.

I also hardly ever use forums, so here's to hoping I read the how-to closely enough...

A) Pieces like this have plenty of the ripples that seem to be the tell-tale sign of a worked piece? Yes?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7440.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	236317

B) I started finding a whole lot of chips and pieces that are only 1-2 inches long that look like they've had a little pressure flaking done on them.. Is that common? They otherwise don't have too much indicating that they've been worked and don't look to be a very finished tool.

Name:	IMG_7445.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	236318

And another example of what looks like a chip with a retouched edge...

Name:	IMG_7441.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	236319
    And a closer look at the edge..

Name:	IMG_7444.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	236320

C) Then there are what look to be cores. However, there's very little actual ripple to it. I couldn't foresee the way its been chipped being a natural process though...?

Name:	IMG_7450.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	236321
    Same piece, fresh off the ground

Name:	IMG_7437.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	236322

So I'll leave it at that for now, but I'm sure I'll have some follow-up posts in a short while, I'm sure. Thanks for any input or insights. I promise I'll try not to ask stupid questions more than twice.

-Trent

I looked at your photos before I read your text and I immdiately thought Central Texas. Many years back I picked up a lot of similar material in Bradford Texas. They are certainly N/A worked and are chopping, scraping or cutting tools. I was told that that entire area has naturally occuring marine flint or chert, and was part of the winter migration grounds of the vast Bison herds. Put those two things together and you have plenty of artifacts laying around!

I'll leave it to the knapping / flaking experts to comment on your questions.

Comment

Welcome Tberr...I am just a flatlander from Illinois here. As Clam said it is obvious to see the workings on those pieces. Keep looking. Ya got a good spot and its in Texas....
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

My husband comes from San Antonio and recalls seeing workings such as your at his aunt's deer camp. Happy hunting!
        Child of the tides

Comment

Tberrie - Welcome Aboard AH.com. It's a great place to learn and get help. I agree with BabaORiley - those have definitely been worked. The 2nd pic looks like they were putting a cutting edge on at least one side so it may even have been used to cut with. IMO the 3rd pic doesn't look like it's been worked. That's some nice material. I'm from Tennessee so I don't really know Texas material but it sure looks nice. ...Chuck
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Kyflintguy
            Kyflintguy commented
            Editing a comment
            The 3rd pic is the same item as the 4th pic, hard to see due to the lighting but I believe there is a worked edge there. Indirect light would probably show it better.

• Scorpion68
            Scorpion68 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup - I didn't tie the 3rd and 4th together. There's definitely pressure flaking on the leading edge of that also. Guess it just didn't show that well for me on the 3rd pic. Tks

Welcome to our forum. And thanks for your post. I agree with the previous members who commented. I think you are onto a site that may eventually show some artifacts that can be identified. Keep on looking and keep on posting. Although those pieces are not identifiable they look like they could have been purposefully struck or small smalls that are the result of initial attempts to manufacture.

Comment

Welcome from east Tn! Glad you decided to join our forum!

I think you've done good spotting worked pieces... The first piece is either a core from which pieces were being struck from or a quarry blank that had yet to be finished ( hard to say without seeing all sides)... The second piece appears to have work on the left edge, probably a reduction flake from a larger piece. I do see the retouched edge on the third piece, which may have been utilized as impromptu cutting tool and/or chopping tool. The fourth item looks like a core which larger flakes were being removed to make tools perhaps lamellar blades. I have an idea of what those materials are (Georgetown, rootbeer and Edwards plateau) but im not positive? maybe another knapper can give a more conclusive answer.
            Last edited by Kyflintguy; 01-02-2017, 06:41 PM.
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Looks like you got your answer and looks like your doing good.
              Welcome to the site and hope you start finding and sharing points too!
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thank you all for the quick replies! Good to know I'm on the right track. I spoke to some of the older folks in the area and there's apparently an old "indian stove" about 100 yards past our property on the embankment of a creek. I'll see if the neighbor won't mind me venturing over there when I go back.

FWIW, I also tracked down some pieces that the previous owner had found (and apparently felt the need to glue them into a shadow box).

Name:	IMG_7435.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	236368

Comment

Those are really nice and definitely show that you're in the right area for hunting. Keep at it and we'll be watching for future posts. Chuck
                  Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Your certainly onto a good spot. When i was there years ago I picked up about 50 pounds of similar worked stones. I think a lot of the larger pieces were used as chopping tools. Taking a Bison apart would result in the need for some serious cutting and chopping. There was so many chert veins and nodules around the area, I think a lot of impromptu tools were just made right on the kill site and then discarded. why pack a lot of heavy butchering tools around when you could knock out what you needed in 10 minutes?

Comment

Those are really nice looking materials.

Comment

Working...
                      X