Identification help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identification help?

I recently bought some points and I'm not sure about this one? I'm thinking its a knife and it was found in Randolph County NC.

Von

Based on the geographic location I would say it is a Rowan point. Rowan points were named for Rowan County where they were discovered. In Tennessee they have a similar point and it is probably the same point. It is called a Big Sandy you can read more about Big Sandy at the following link. http://www.gutenberg.org/files/39974...-h.htm#Page_15
    Last edited by Hoss; 02-14-2017, 02:52 PM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I saw one in a collection on Ebay almost like that one I think.

Comment

A neat article about the Big Sandy/Rowan can be found by looking up Jim Maus artifacts then the article about the Big Sandy. I've always wondered why if they are the same the Overstreet has them listed separately with different dates? Nice artifact!
        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Thanks for the information and what you have said confirmed my own thoughts about it being a Big Sandy although I had not made the connection with the Rowan. I'm yet to find a picture of a point like this but Big Sandy-Rowan is as close as It gets. I'll have to check out Jim Manus Artifacts to read a bit about them.

I did snatch these up off ebay and as it turned out the seller lives really close to me. There's several other interesting points in the collection and I may start a post about one or more of them.

Von
          Last edited by Von; 02-14-2017, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Hi Von. Just want to add my agreement on the Big Sandy call. And I agree that it was used as a knife. The Big Sandy folks (whoever they were) apparently used the same style, shape, flaking technique, etc. to make their knives and dart points.

Comment

Hi Joe,

I wonder if it was a tribal tradition or just one of many styles of points made by the same people? I have Kirks, Palmers and Daltons and other points made from the same material. All were found in the same general area. I know those points were found in stratified layers at the Hardaway site near Badin and some are older than others but the question of who the people were is still unanswered? Were they different people or generations of the same people with different needs?

I guess the answer is lost to history and we are left with what evidence we can find to figure it out as best we can.

Von

Comment

It sure is an unusual looking point.
                South Dakota

Comment

I'm pretty sure it has some damage on one side that makes it look off set. I didn't pay much for all ten points in the collection so it was worth a roll of the dice.

Von
                  Last edited by Von; 02-14-2017, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

This is a interesting point! It has some modern damage that's possibly from a plow but most of the patina is ancient. I'm now sure it was used as a knife but could have started out as a projectile point. The rounded edge shows a couple chips and the flat edge is pretty clean of modern damage except for a nick.

I'm really happy I dropped $40 on this collection. Several of the points are near perfect including a Morrow Mountain, Corner Notched Kirk, Savanna River and Guilford. A couple show what looks like a little fire damage and two are possible Daltons. No doubt ebay is a crap shoot but there's deals to be had there.

Von
                        Last edited by Von; 02-16-2017, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Check ou the first point in Butch's hand in this thread. http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/g...olina-rhyolite
                          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

That point on the far left looks like it was made from the same material and is very nice! That's so close that they could have came from the same stone. I figure the odds are slim but it's still cool. Thanks for posting that.

Von

Comment

Working...
                            X