Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two what-did-i-finds. Something or nothing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two what-did-i-finds. Something or nothing?

I've been hunting a recently plowed field at my go-to spot. Found 5 points there already and plenty of debitage. It just rained so I was excited to go back but didn't find anything but some flakes. I also found these two interesting items that very well could be nothing.

The first item -- is this a crude chopper or do you think it's naturally broken in this way? I'm leaning towards chopper. Certainly the one side has much to be desired, but in some of the shots you can see what looks like deliberate chunks taken off as well as the fact it has "flaking" on both sides. What do you guys think?

The second item -- a mysterious jasper nodule of sorts? I've never seen anything like it... Being most everything I find is jasper and it's all imported from up the delaware river, the indians must have brought it here... but was it used for something or just some natural round piece of jasper?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8673.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	250029

Name:	IMG_8674.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	250031

Name:	IMG_8675.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	250035

Name:	IMG_8676.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	250033

Name:	IMG_8677.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	250028

Name:	IMG_8678.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	250032

Name:	IMG_8679.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	250030
    Attached Files

the first looks to be just a broken rock

cant help with the second one

Comment

Yea, I agree with Tim-- a broken rock. The second could be natural as well but I'm not familiar with your region.
      Child of the tides

Comment

The first one is tumbled by farm machinery and broken that way. The second is a jasper nodule, called glacial till. That's one of the nodules/pebbles left over from when the glaciers receded. This is however, a source of jasper to make an artifact. Glacial cobbles/nodules are often used, and are very often one of a kind cherts carried down by the glaciers, and left behind when the glaciers receded.
        http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Thanks for the input... guess today was a bust... haha!

Comment

Well you could start knapping points with your jasper.
            South Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by pkfrey View Post
              The first one is tumbled by farm machinery and broken that way. The second is a jasper nodule, called glacial till. That's one of the nodules/pebbles left over from when the glaciers receded. This is however, a source of jasper to make an artifact. Glacial cobbles/nodules are often used, and are very often one of a kind cherts carried down by the glaciers, and left behind when the glaciers receded.
              I agree! great explanation Paul, Thanks.
              Not a bust of a day just one that did not produce artifacts.
              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Let me clarify... certainly not a bust of a day! I love being out under the hot sun... just a bust because I usually at least find something, haha.

Comment

Working...
                X