Polished or polishing stone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polished or polishing stone?

I found this stone at one of my local sites years ago when I first began thinking about point hunting. I never found an arrowhead until this winter, but used to always be concious that they existed and it was always a goal of mine to find one. I was walking this site one morning and came across a perfectly smooth rock that appeared to have been polished as if it was out through a tumbler. It is nearly as smooth as a bowling ball, and it baffled me so I naturally picked it up and kept walking.

As ive gotten deeper into point hunting and the Native American culture I realized this rock may be an artifact such as a polisher or a polished stone? Can anyone help me identify? It may be just a very cool natural occurrence, but I'll turn to you all for advice and guidance as I commonly do! Thank you- PH
    Last edited by Pointhead; 05-22-2017, 08:41 PM.
    Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Any pottery found in the area? One technique in pottery making is to burnish the clay surface. The grit within the clay would likewise add to the polish on the stone used to brunish. A long shot because it was just a smooth rock found by you. Not sure if this was actually found on a site? Watch this video it shows how to make pots. Just about the 2 minute mark you might see something interesting. [YT]z_PeaHVcohg[/YT]
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

It looks like the stone that was used to grind down and make red pigment out of.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

here is another example of burnishing. [YT]5cm_P7h5YhQ[/YT]
        Last edited by Hoss; 05-22-2017, 03:54 PM.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Pointhead
          Pointhead commented
          Editing a comment
          This was found on a site! It's a well documents and hunted site. It's been over hunted to near exhaustion though, sadly

Nice videos. Thanks for sharing. The first was really interesting.
        South Dakota

Comment

Ya know I have a couple of very polished stones similar to that. They were also found on high ground well away from any water source in areas that I suspect were campsites.
          The chase is better than the catch...
          I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Working...
          X