Preform?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preform?

Found this walking a trail right outside my house in a suburban neighborhood in Colorado. The trail runs along a creek. To me, this looks like a preform that was chucked aside after a potentially failed attempted to notch the right side. Or it could just be another rock. Thoughts?
    Attached Files

Looks like I see flaking on one side. This may have been used as a scraper too.

Comment

looks like a waste flake from he reduction process to me

if thats what it is,keep looking in that area theres bound to be more and better items to be found

Comment

looks like it has been worked. but I agree its a discard. I have seen that material but trying to place it.
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• mktexan
          mktexan commented
          Editing a comment
          This was found in Parker, CO. I see this same material all up and down the creek. Lots of debitage.

It looks like a spall that was removed from a larger piece. I think a good point could still be knapped from it. I see no reason to discard that spall unless it simply was not big enough to make the intended blade.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

One of those rocks that will keep you wondering. I'm not sure either, although a little edge looks worked. They could have scraped right there, but I don't see use wear.
          South Dakota

Comment

The preferred chert in your area is Elizabeth chert, it is more of a caramel brown with darker streaks. But if the creek your hunting is full of this lithic you should find artifacts made from it. I have seen this type of lithic in many areas on the front range but further west.
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Gary always holds a positive so yeah keep looking probably something waiting . If the edges are worked it's an artifact .

Comment

Working...
              X