Argillite find. Knife? Merrimack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argillite find. Knife? Merrimack?

Today I was meandering along, kicking dirt. I've been having a bit of a tougher time hunting some of my usual suspects sites due to a lack of rain in the region, so I went for a walk in a new spot that I've always had a suspicion of not far from my house in massachussets. I found this argillite point or blade as some much appreciated cloud cover rolled in. It is made on a flake and nearly three inches long. Appears to be a plow ding at the left base, but other than that I really enjoy the cerrations that the maker was able to obtain from such a rough material such as our New England argy! Let me know what you think this may be? A blade? Or a uniface Merrimack type? Fox creek?
    Attached Files
    Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

I'm only seeing one side, so assume the other side shows it's origin as a flake. In any event, I'd just call it a cutting tool/knife. Not a Merrimack, but I wouldn't get bogged down in typing, anyway. Flake cutting tool seems OK.
    Rhode Island

Comment

Glad you found a new spot! Nice artifact

Comment

Not an expert but look at the knapping on the sides its a good size , sharp point I would say an old
        knife . Spear point . Until an expert gets to
        you goggle the heck out of projectile points
        in your area and you may find it . These guys will know lithic type and what you asked
        .... get started I am excited to see what it is .

Comment

Not an expert but look at the knapping on the sides its a good size , sharp point I would say an old
          in your area and you may find it . These guys will know lithic type and what you asked

Comment

Ok that does it my phone is officially broken
            so sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Tam View Post
              I've been collecting in Pointhead's region for 60 years. It just is not as easy as one would hope. Probably a little late for me to adopt this attitude, since I have so often struggled with typology, but, unless a point type is simply super obvious, I try not to get bogged down in typing anymore. Between blade attrition, rebasing, and bifaces or unifaces intended as knives, with no type in mind, it's just too easy to be unsure. Of course types exist, but, at the same time, it is we moderns who decide which attributes to use to type points, and, as noted, the many ways in which a first stage artifact can change its morphology during its usage life is what makes typing such a task at times to begin with. So, unless it's too obvious to ignore, the last thing I do when finding anything is struggle over typing it. We have excellent guides to typology here, a couple of excellent in print guides, and while some might call it a Fox Creek, it's just as likely to be a knife made off a flake.....
              Last edited by CMD; 06-28-2017, 06:24 AM.
              Rhode Island

Comment

• Pointhead
                Pointhead commented
                Editing a comment
                I tend to whole heartedly agree with what you're saying. I've found some points that are so obviously a very specific type, and then some that are just a puzzle. But that's part of what drives the passion to look for these artifacts, you just never truly know

Congratulations on your find. Glad you had some luck.
              South Dakota

Comment

Any find is a good find. If I may make a suggestion PH, when you post pics of your finds it's always best to show both sides and an edge view that shows the thickness. Since I'm from Tennessee, I'd go with Charlie's comments especially since he's been at it for 60 years in your area.
                Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Pointhead
                  Pointhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I absolutely will! The other side of this point (blade) has no real working on it, and has a pretty cool bevel to it. I'll post the pic in a comment

Congratulations on your find! Many good comments here. Are you sure it is argillite and not rhyolite? I don't have much experience looking at materials there but Argillite in NJ is never that light in color.
                I looked at it and thought "fish tail", "Bare Island?" "Fox Creek" but the ridges are still prominent. Again, speaking of argillite in my area, the ridges on the flake scars wear quite flat even from middle woodland period. So a middle to late woodland knife is my guess. If the other side has little to no work that doesn't mean it's not a projectile though. Please show a few more pics of the other side and from the side. I think you found a great piece and I'd love to look it over more.
                New Jersey

Comment

Our New England argillite as Cmd would call it is typically a greenish hue, while I've noticed that argy from down further south doesn't look quite the same at all. CMD has had some full length discussions on this very topic on the board somewhere I remember reading it in the past! I'll post the pics now

Comment

Backside photos, as well as side angle shots! I've heard that not all artifacts are going to be in perfect condition, or even "perfectly" made. But they all tell part of the story, I was thrilled to find a "big" point and still love appreciating who held and crafted this thousands of years ago.

Comment

• CMD
                      CMD commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Personally, I like points made off flakes.

• Pointhead
                      Pointhead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I definitely love finding them!! It just goes to show what the maker had to work with at the time. I'd kill to know the backstory behind some of or all of the points I've found. Maybe it was a case of needing a knife right away, or maybe it was just too nice a flake to not use it? And argy is rough as it is, so the possibilities are endless. That's a large portion of why I love arrowheads and looking for artifacts

Pointhead I love the pics. And your attitude.
                    Thanks again for the post and pics.
                    New Jersey

Comment

Working...
                    X