No announcement yet.

Obsidian artifact from Apalachicola,Fl.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obsidian artifact from Apalachicola,Fl.

I found this in alley way of my Mother's Victorian home in the Historic District of Apalachicola,Florida.
    The house sits on a high hill across from Apalachicola Bay. I'd always heard this hill was a burial mound-the area is rich with ancient tribal culture. Common to find old bottles & such in these alleys. Few years before this find- the county dug & replaced old sewer lines-likely,it was unearthed then. The Bay shore has produced excellent specimens,as well.(more to come)
    No one locally has ever seen one like it.
    It appears to be dark green obsidian.

Any info is appreciated!
    Last edited by Gypsea; 07-10-2017, 12:22 PM.

I believe that's a piece of slag glass that someone was chipping away at trying to make an artifact. If it is obsidian, it's not native to that area, and I haven't heard of obsidian being used in Florida for artifacts.
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

I have to agree with Paul, considering that's large chunk of something you've identified as not native-- not even close-- to your region.
      Child of the tides

Comment

The mayans used green obsidian extensively and are just across the gulf from there...is that a possibility?

ok, I say "just across the gulf" like it's a creek or something, but it's closer than, say ....Washington state...😁
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Gypsea
          Gypsea commented
          Editing a comment
          Like to think that's how it found it's way here. Thanks!

Different possibilities may be considered, but that does not look knapped, just broken on all sides. Knapping produces flake scars nothing like this. Thanks for the post, it's always worth a look cuz ya never know
        New Jersey

Comment

• Gypsea
          Gypsea commented
          Editing a comment
          Please see additional pics show "knapping". Thanks for replying!

I asked this question in your other duplicate post, but did you personally find it? There are other explanations of how it could have got there. I know if someone went digging in my backyard they would find many Lithic materials not native to my area because I Knapp. If you didn't find it personally it could be a case of wrong provenance. That is way out of place being found in Florida. It could be slay glass like Pkfrey stated.

You mentioned you've found other stuff? Lets see it! We like seeing artifacts here lol.
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

It's not "slag glass"-I collect antique bottles so quite familiar with it.
          This is definitely "stone" material.

A possibility is that a neighbor owned it as a "collectible" & it was dropped in the alley unknowingly-like when moving boxes into a new home. Could be several possibilities.
          The alley runs along several homes.

I like to think it was a ancient trade piece used for a special ceremony.

Thanks for replies...I may let someone at FSU take a look.

Comment

Did you find the piece?

Sometimes people bring artifacts on here to see if others will back up such claims as "ceremonial" , "extremely valuable", "extremely rare" etc. To help boost the value of those items. I'm not saying this is what you are doing but I think there is probably a more reasonable explanation for this piece other than "found around mound in Florida, ceremonial and extremely rare trade item". It seems to me you already may have had pre conceived notions about what you have before you came here. Sometime things just aren't what we want them to be.

Your getting experienced opinions here, but if you did choose to take it to an archaeologist they're probably going to dismiss the notion it is a imported rare trade item as well. Why? Because anyone can say "I found this here" but without documented context its just "here say". Is it possible that some obsidian got traded into florida? yes. But there are many other more probable explanations for that being there that must be explored before playing the "rare, valuable" card. But if you did find the item and you know it came from the ground right there in Fla. By all means use every tool you have available to solve the mystery. I hope it is as rare as you hope it is. Let us know how it goes.

I'm still interested in seeing what else you've found in the area, as I'm sure others are too.
            Last edited by Kyflintguy; 07-09-2017, 03:42 PM.
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Gypsea
              Gypsea commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes,I found it.

Well, you said it's not slag glass, because you collect antique bottles and your familiar with that kind of glass. Slag has nothing to do with antique bottles. Slag glass is what's left over after smelting iron ore. It's the collective results of the impurities and of the silica which is a by product of smelting. The impurities containing silica are channeled away from the furnace and rapidly cooled with water, which then forms slag. It's a more detailed process that you can look up, to much to write here. There could be slag dumps near the place you found this. At one time rail cars were filled with slag and just dumped somewhere because there wasn't any use for it. But Josh is right, I believe you already are totally convinced it's something rare, so even if the top expert on glass and artifacts in the country would tell you it's slag, you would probably still reach out for another opinion. What ever the case, good luck in your research. Keep us informed !

Comment

• Gypsea
              Gypsea commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a huge collection of "slag" from England so I'm familiar with what "slag" is.
              My reply about "slag" was a reference someone else made to it & wasn't volunteered by me. I also collect old glass bottles common here & some old "black-glass" looks similar to this "stone" but I'm saying again this is "stone" not glass!
              I found this piece so yes,I'm still hopeful it's something more than a "piece of slag" ...guess it needs to be seen in person to see details,etc.
              I really do appreciate the feedback-I will
              try keep an open mind.

• Hoss
              Hoss commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow Gypsea relax no one is calling you out. No need to be so defensive!

Adding additional pics.

Comment

I would say it's possible that's a piece of obsidian. And all sorts of circumstances. What I would say for sure is, it's not ancient and Indian related. If obsidian, especially green, then maybe someone picked a piece up from some where, either in nature, or even a rock shop at some point in time, tried to flake it into an artifact which didn't work to well, and simply discarded it. How it got into the alley where you found it is anyone's guess. But if obsidian, or slag, it's not " stone ". It's completely, geologically, different than stone. The most accurate term, if obsidian, would be " volcanic glass ". I suspected slag because obsidian is so rare to be found in an artifact context in Fla., but there could be other circumstances as I mentioned. And also, with artifacts, this theory again holds true, " There are exceptions to every rule ".

Comment

Hi,
                I found this forum and post because I’m trying to identify some “rocks” that I found today near the Apalachicola airport that look like what seems to be obsidian. I have not seen it anywhere else in the FL/GA/AL spots I’ve been. They are not artifacts but like no other “rock” I have found but it looks like it can flake like flint. I also thought it may slag glass because it is more like glass than flint, though. It’s army green when you shine a light through it. It looks black when you are outside than gray inside. Some of the pieces have a beautiful rainbow sheen like glass does when it has been underwater a long time.
                Last edited by TameTesla; 02-11-2019, 01:07 AM. Reason: Newbie!

Comment

• Broken Arrow
                  Broken Arrow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We'd love to see it. Post it in the " what did I find" section.

• SurfaceHunter
                  SurfaceHunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There are many colors of slag glass here. I had a friend that told me he found a bunch of rubies and put them in a bucket. Took them to the science center and the main person broke his heart told him it was all slag.
              Working...
              X