Crescent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crescent

Is any one with me that there is a slight chance this is a part of a crescent. I have this on top of a pic out of the Overstreet 14th addition . I have posted this before with a drawing . Give it to me ! Knock me out of the ball park on this , I think I am obcessed with this find . Heat treated butter smooth on the back side like the finest sander with oil .
    Have at it . Also snapped clean

Hi Tam. Looks like you may be onto something. HST, as you probably know there are stemmed points that have asymetrical edges so that possibility can not be ruled out. By chance do you have other artifacts from the site on which this was found? If so, how would a crescent blade fit in with those others? I would be wondering, too. It's a great conversation piece for sure.

Comment

Did you happen to notice in Overstreet that crescent blades are in the far west section? You did not comment on where this was found? Is this a GA find? If so then in my opinion you have a flake that is slightly curved .
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hoss yes I did notice that but I have a text book from a
        Alabama college that has some crescents from
        that location I go to in S. Georgia . This was a better pic . They just had black and white pencil sketches ..but dully noted their area . Hoss wow those Eloras you did an ID for me fit right in like a puzzle in that book .
        Hi Joe yes I do have some points from that area
        literally 10 feet away .
        I will take some pics and post them for you tomorrow .
        interested to hear what you think .
        Thank you

Comment

Joe , hope these pics uploaded . Now to answer your question I am not sure I can ( how that piece relates to the area ) I would have to dig deeper into my research books . This was my lazy way to get me thinking . Hoss is right about the Great Basin . That's where that pic was from and so many of the beautiful crescents . But in these pics there is late Archaic to later . Not the best points and some so crude . Also I put a pic in of the Swift creek complicated stamp pottery that is everywhere . It's a muti generational camp I would only assume with so many different types most being in chert .
          I put a pic in of possible scrapers . Boy I would love to find some very fine serrated points . Some day . Joe my brother and I use to throw points that got in our toes at each other in the lakes in Mich . Wish I had those now . The 50's

Comment

If it was a crescent ,,, it would be way out of context and like Hoss said also way out region .... just my opinion... cool piece Though for sure
            As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
            NW Arkansas

Comment

Lets see a picture of the reverse side plz?! Could just be a big flake that was used as a tool. I have some unifacial flake tools that look very similar. Not crecent knives but still cool.
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I was writing away on a photo . The flip side Josh is so smooth but like I said going through my chip JAR that's me being mad! I found another one . Same curve so it will be interesting to get feedback
                I have no idea . But from what all of us find it's kind of like their scrapers . We never find those turtle back ones . A friend just flipped over a monster what he thinks is a chopper as big as his hand tilling up his farm .

Comment

Comment

Joe my post to you didn't go through !
                    lets hope 2 don't show up . I have a trail cam
                    and it goes right to my wifi which can for some reason disrupt my work .
                    So I never find turtle back scrapers or any
                    fine ones so maybe this could just be a tool .
                    It only relates to the area in lithic and the type
                    of scrapers my little group finds .. more chunky
                    left over large flakes . But this was so special and Finely worked . I just don't know . I think I was reaching trying to figure out what is , and now
                    I have 2

Comment

Joe sorry that was for you the fine scrapper one
                      again it's really different from all the chips we find I wanted to add that . The above post
                      thank you

Comment

in the second set of pics
                        the second one looks like a flake,there appears to a bulb of percussion at the bottom of the flake in the pic

Comment

What would this be a flake from ? Why as it made
                          into this 1/4 moon . Like I said it's not the first one .We find these half or 1/4 moon flakes there ?
                          Are these 1/4 moons part of the point Joe was talking about ?

Comment

Well Tam - ya really stirred the pot on this post. But that is what makes this website soooo interesting. I'm no expert by any means but as most will tell ya location is a key to help with identification. That said, it's not impossible to find artifacts that have absolutely no context to your area. I've found them here in Tennessee on the mountain. Bottom line is that what you have is an artifact for sure and from what you've posted it appears to be uniface - so - I think Josh has a pretty good analysis going. Hang in there. Who knows you just might find the bottom half to solve the puzzle.
                            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

You know I actually saw this guy on utube find a beautiful point , broken but then 6 months later
                              he found the tip . With the creek staining it was a totally different color but perfect match .
                              kind of like the heartbreak post Jethro started and Hoss had that big Blade ?
                              I am going back to my humble cabin in S Georgia
                              next week. Let's all hope I find something amazing !
                              I want a big Benton or something so serrated like you all have .

Comment

• sailorjoe
                                sailorjoe commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Hi Tam. Good luck to you in your future finds. As for this distal end of a blade, like so many others that we find, it often brings up more questions than answers. But that, I believe, is one of the things that makes this hobby of ours so fascinating. The unknown is what makes us keep striving for the known. For me, the search and the challenges are the really fun part. Once I have the answers, it is almost anticlimatical.
                            Working...
                            X