Worked, then fired and worked again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worked, then fired and worked again?

Found this in the exact same spot as my last post, looks very similar. My question is was this worked, then heat treated and worked again? There are flakes right next to each other that are different colors even though they are the same depth and side by side. The scalloped flakes would rule out it being the cortext. I see a little red coming out on the back side. Could just be natural and creek stain but I'm not sure.
    Central Ohio

JMHO, but in the 2nd and 4th photo, the reddish patch does look like a thin patch of outer skin, or cortex. The original skin could have had a concave surface at that point, after all. But, that's how my eyes are interpreting what I see, and others may see it differently.....
    Rhode Island

Comment

The back side does seem to have a patch of cortex left. It's a little rougher texture there.
      Central Ohio

Comment

That piece don't look to have been heat treated. I think if it had it would be a darker red color instead of the brown if heat treated. What it looks like is it could have been shaped earlier and at a later date someone come along and took other flakes off it. pretty much what CMD said
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

I agree with Charlie. This is probably a core of sorts. Flakes were removed and used to make points or tools.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

The heat treated pieces I have found almost look to have rust stains on them and are a very dark burnt orange color. It was worked for sure but as the others have said it look like a core.
            The chase is better than the catch...
            I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Hey flintguy - that material looks like some of the stuff I find here on the mountain. Anyone know what it is?
              Last edited by Scorpion68; 07-29-2017, 02:43 PM. Reason: Add a question
              Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Hey Chuck, I've heard people describe it as Brown Jasper, or just Jasper Flint. I'm sure there is a more scientific name for it.
                Central Ohio

Comment

Working...
                X