Central Texas weekend find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Texas weekend find

I found this over the weekend in a gravel bar on a creek in Austin, TX. I'm looking for opinions on the type for this piece. I have the bible for Texas lithics, "Stone Artifacts of Texas Indians -3rd edition" by Turner and Hester, but I've not been able to definitively type it. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

As found
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Found3.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	260705
    Side A

Name:	Found1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	260703
    Side B

Name:	Found2.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	260704
    Side A with scale in cm

Name:	Found5.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	260702
    Side B with scale in cm

Name:	Found4.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	260700 Edge on

Name:	Found6.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	260701

I can't help but I can admire
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Welcome from east Tn!

Love that in situ shot. Have you looked at the He'll Gap type? Just a guess on my part and way out of my area...

Thanks for sharing!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Here's a link to the info center of the forum with some Texas Refferences...
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Some dandy points that you found. Out of my area and not sure if I ever saw a lanceolate point like that one so I will see what some Texas folks say before I try to make a WAG. Those points look huge!

Comment

Hey ya truce - I gotta tell ya those are some awesome photos of awesome points. Excellent closeups and super insitu. Sorry I can't help with the Id but they sure are nice finds.
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

That's an interesting older point. I think Josh might be on it.
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I'm getting on board with everybody else. It's an excellent point, awesome pics, and I think that Hell's gap may be right?
                of course, I'm mostly a toothless hillbilly who only isn't an expert on anything, but I like pictures a lot and I can pick up heavy things.
                Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Thanks for the input, everyone. My further research led a discussion on this site regarding whether true Hell Gap point types are found in Texas, and the form/distribution differences between HG, Thrall, and Angostura point types. Where is @Seco when you need him? Paging Dr. Hester to the courtesy phone...
                  Last edited by truceburner; 08-16-2017, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• Kyflintguy
                    Kyflintguy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That wasn't this site but on a.h.ology... I'm not familiar with those folks or that discussion but yours sure looks to fit the description of Hell Gap...

• searchinghawk
                    searchinghawk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    for sure looks like a late paleo lanceloate to me,, hell gap related or something similar,,i have a hell gap type point i found way up here in maine on an early archaic site on kennebec river,, bifurcates and kirks and palmers also found with lots of stark and neville points

I'MO not a hell gap may be a Scottsbuff but what do I know same time period
                  Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

I'm not really seeing paleo flaking on this? Am I missing something? Flaking looks random to me.
                    South Dakota

Comment

chase - It's relatively thin, not as robust in cross-section as the (very few) Scottsbluff pieces I've found, and, to SDhunter's point, it lacks the flaking style of that and other classic paleo types. You aren't missing anything, SDhunter - it is what it is. The outline/shape screams Hell Gap, but the Turner/Hester guidebook "Stone Artifacts of Texas Indians" dropped HG and the previous HG-related Thrall type from the 3rd edition of the book. For reference, other paleo/transitional types I've found nearby include St. Mary's Hall, Angostura, Golondrina, Scottsbluff- all of which are creek finds, so out of context.

I really appreciate the input, gents.

Comment

I was thinking Scott's bluff...but it is unusual. Im from East Texas and never found that exact shape...the ones I have have more exaggerated shoulders.
                        clay

Comment

I am not seeing hellgap .... or paleo flaking .... might have to lump this one ... cool point though
                          As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                          NW Arkansas

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X