What did I find?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did I find?

I found this today and was wondering what it might be if anything. I tried to attach files but no luck again. :woohoo: I posted them in "My Photos" Dec. 9 , 2010.

Hey it did work, I'll try the other pictures.

Comment

Just a guess on this artifact from me anyway. We find similar stone tools up here in Washington that we have been told are for scraping out the marrow from the center of the split dinner bones. The smaller tip for smaller and the larger for the larger. Sounds good anyway. Is this tooled all along the working edge?  Hard to tell in photo. That would tell you that it was used on both ends.

Comment

That looks like a waste flake of rose quartzite, but I suppose some people will believe that it was a tool of some kind. That is possible but not very likely.

Comment

I admit I am very very new here, but isn't that a graver?  B) If not, can someone explain the difference between what you would call a graver and this example? 

Comment

I have a few gravers in my collection, and at least the ones here in OH are far sharper and in many cases are multiple on the tool and one edge is worked to an edge for scraping. I will try to dig mine out and get some photos for you of some of mine this weekend Adriel to compare.

Comment

Adriel,
                  Good question! It looks not worked-instead fractured to that shape. Gravers are pretty deliberately made and used and usually on a pressure-flaked edge. I suppose that the tab would have made a tool, but it doesn't look like a graver tip at all. In hand, it might maybe possibly have been used as a tool of some sort.

Comment

Bill, Cliff,
                I really appreciate the responses, and the effort for examples, Bill.
                Thanks a bunch guys. 
                I seem to need to get over the shape versus "is it worked" idea. 

Comment

Just when you think you have it all coming together Adriel you will be blessed to find something that defies all the normality that you thought you once knew! That is just one of the many joys of our great hobby!!

Comment

Would it help if I posted some more pictures? It is suppose to be nice here in Tn. for awhile today so maybe some outside pictures in the sunlight might be better.{The snow will be here tonight and mess up everything.  :angry:   }Of course the pictures will have to wait till later, if it's going to be nice outside I'll have to go back to the field and hunt some more, I might find something else of interest to post. One has to keep their priorities straight. After reading all this I can't wait to see what the verdict is on this little guy.
                    Thanks to all of you!    :silly:

Comment

Working...
                    X