No announcement yet.

Finally, a second find!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's so hard to be 100% from photos. But, something I learned also over the years, is to trust your very first initial instinct. You mentioned, " You wondered yourself about the one point, it just doesn't look right." That's your instinct talking, and about 99.9% of the time, your first instinct is the correct one.
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Flynn
      Flynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes you are right. When I found it I immediately was shocked, stunned and thrilled. After checking it I was concerned a bit. I have seen many points, but none like this.

I was wanting to share this info with yal and these pics. I'd like this point to be real but I'd rather know the truth. We moved here 33 years ago. The property was very thick dense woods so dad had a man come in and clear it off with a bulldozer. They took down all the trees in the front and back yard. Later dad planted the apple tree, this second point was found about 3 feet from the apple tree. The first point I found was in our garden about 80 yards from the apple tree. I have found these other flint pieces in the garden, near the apple tree, at the top of the hill, just various places. I find charcoal everywhere I dig, 4" to 12" deep. Anyway, I will keep digging. Take a look at this stuff though please. That big black Sleestack looking thing confuses me. I can't tell for sure if it's flint or not. Thank yal very much.

Comment

• eannis6
      eannis6 commented
      Editing a comment
      I do believe you have a lot of chert there.

The point next to the dime looks like it could be authentic.
    But then again with the root beer chert.
    Edwards type material.

Your sleestack thingy is a conglomerate with fossil inclusions.
    Turned sideways "break away" shows fossil structures imbedded as a thin band.
    Look around for more of this same stone the other piece is bound to be there somewhere. Unless it was hauled away with the bulldozed trees.
    It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
    It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
    Circa:1982

Comment

• Flynn
      Flynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh very nice. Thank you. I have been looking for it. I found it on the side of the ravine. May never find the rest.

Hi Flynn, I'm glad to see you posted more pics of your finds. It is very helpful to me, especially the pictures of the broken rocks, most of which appear to be chert of one kind or another several of which show evidence of being handled by man in one way or another. Your story about the development of the property is also helpful. So if I understand correctly all these stones were found somewhere on your property in the area where land was cleared by a bulldozer. If this includes the broken river cobble then that is additional proof that you are living on or quite near a prehistoric Native American site because river rocks just don't roll uphill by themselves. Regarding the chert. You live in the Ridge and Valley geological province in northwest Georgia. That province is home to about five different sedimentary limestone geological formations that have chert inclusions in them. Colors of the various chert types can vary from black to white and many colors in between. It is generally not possible to tell what type of chert you have by showing just pictures as you have done. So the comment by others that it is georgetown or root beer chert from the Edwards Plateau is likely incorrect.They should probably have not offered that opinion given that they are not geologists with detailed knowledge of the sedimentary formations in your area. Neither am I but I am not offering an opinion as to the name of the particular chert. I am only commenting about the chert available to local folks without having to import it from far away. As said previously of the 5 major sedimentary formations different colors, including brown and tan, can occur in more than one formation and different colors in the same formation. For example chert from the Conasauga Formation can be dark gray, black or tan. Cherts from the Bangor formation can be black to various shades of gray. etc., etc. The two points you show were probably made from local material some of which may be present in your rock samples. It is hard to say for sure about the finer points of colors in photos because they can vary depending on the kind of light source. As for the two points you are showing us, I already commented on the one on the left as it appears to be the one you asked about at the beginning of this thread. The second one looks to have been used as a knife. I can't ID it to type either for the same reasons I gave before.

Comment

• Flynn
      Flynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much for your help and comments. I appreciate it. I don't know anywhere to take any of my stuff. May be to Etowah Indian Mounds so they can check them out. I truly enjoy digging around but it can be disheartening when you think you might have something but not. Thanks again.

That first point looks modern to me as well. The one by the dime looks authentic. Who knows how it got in the ground?
    South Dakota

Comment

• Flynn
      Flynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much. As I told sailorjoe I don't know anyone to take all of my things to to have them checked out.

There must be a collector in your area who has collected long enough to be able to physically look at what your finding. If we lived closer, I could look at your artifacts, but ask around and see who is in your area that collects artifacts.
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Flynn
      Flynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. I will ask around more. I appreciate you

Flynn, not sure what part of North Ga. you live in but there are three arrowhead shows up that way and an artifact identification day at the Etowah mounds each year. There is a Show in Marietta, Ga. Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 at Roswell St. Baptist church and there will be two again this year in Cartersville not sure of the dates of these but they will be posted on the peach state archaeological website later this year or next. Good place to see artifacts and meet collectors.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Flynn
      Flynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the info. I will check those out. I live in north Dalton. It takes about 45 min to get to the mounds. Thank you for the heads up. I had no idea there was so much.

• willjo
      willjo commented
      Editing a comment
      There was a peach state Arrowhead show in Dalton, Ga. At the liberty Baptist church and there should be some collectors in your area, and will most likely be held there again next year. Jerry Burgess and some of his friends sponsored it for Peach State Archaeological society.

• Flynn
      Flynn commented
      Editing a comment
      I will see if I can find out when. I was digging earlier, about 12 inches down there was a few bits of charcoal. This is in the woods though down the bank so decomposition would be faster.
Working...
X