Solutrean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solutrean?

None found here? This blade I found in NW Tennessee back in July looks exactly like one.

There are several other good options that your blade could fit into that make sense for where you found it... Solutrean in America is very controversial and lacks real hard scientific evidence. I would explore the more likely options if I were you, maybe start a thread with really good photos of your blade for more help with typing.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I have. I thought it was a Morse Blade until recently when someone told me they didn't have shoulders. I've explored more options than you could imagine the last 4 years. It actually could fit into many things but the fact of the matter is it does only fit into one. The Solutrean Laurel Leaf. This blade and where I found it is the site they've needed to produce even more "real hard scientific" evidence. That blade is pretty hard and it's real. Trust me I wish a more likely option would have been the case. I've spent days and days looking into options. Each one had parts that fit but pieces were missing. This is the option leaves nothing unanswered and makes everything else make sense. If you can find a blade that fits the description of mine please inform me of it. Here is a pic of the one found by the scallop dredge in 1970.

Comment

Really wish you would show better photos of your blade so we can see what you see. Its hard to really get a feel of the flaking style or cross section of your piece with the photo you have provided. It would also be best to start your own thread because your hypothesis about your item is a topic of its own and doesn't fit within this thread wich is a conversation about the solutrean hypothesis, not a "what did I find? " thread.
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Ok I see you have more pictures than I first saw. Your photos are good enough for identification, so ignore my request for better pics if you already hadn't.
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Solutrean in America is still just a theory and so far that theory remains geographically isolated to the eastern seaboard. Nw Tennessee is a pretty good distance from the Atlantic in ancient terms... Also those supposed Solutrean laurel leafs found in America all display outre passe flaking techniques and I'm not seeing that on your item Tndigger. To me it looks like a Lerma blade that was wrapped for a handle and resharpened back to the haft, wich explains the disproportionate resharpening on one end. Here's a look at Lerma, wich are quite common in your area...

Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

The fact? Based on who's opinion??
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

TN Digger it is unlikely your point is Solutrean it has a look of a Harahey Knife form too but I doubt that is the case either. To me given it is made of Dover and the shape it is it is most likley related to the Adena people. In answer to your question . " None found here?" My honest opinion it is extremely unlikly! Furthermore your post makes it look as if you have one. Is that a fact? Until you show it to Stanford and Bradley and they can confirm this is in fact a Solutrean blade we will have to move this off of this topic. Ky flint asked you to begin a new topic but you seem to meet that with some resistance. Soultrean hypothisis is a thoery nothing has been proven yet. It make for some interesting reading and it very well could be but it is still just theory.
                Last edited by Hoss; 10-15-2017, 09:02 PM.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Originally posted by TND1GG3R View Post
                  I have. I thought it was a Morse Blade until recently when someone told me they didn't have shoulders. I've explored more options than you could imagine the last 4 years. It actually could fit into many things but the fact of the matter is it does only fit into one. The Solutrean Laurel Leaf. This blade and where I found it is the site they've needed to produce even more "real hard scientific" evidence. That blade is pretty hard and it's real. Trust me I wish a more likely option would have been the case. I've spent days and days looking into options. Each one had parts that fit but pieces were missing. This is the option leaves nothing unanswered and makes everything else make sense. If you can find a blade that fits the description of mine please inform me of it. Here is a pic of the one found by the scallop dredge in 1970.
                  No, that's not the one found by the scallop dredger, the Cinmar, hence called the Cinmar blade. The Cinmar blade can be seen near the top of this thread, in comment # 2 of this thread. You can easily see that it is not a match for the blade you are saying is the one dredged by the Cinmar....

Rhode Island

Comment

TND1GG3R, if you look at comment # 143935 on this page, I believe the blade you are saying was dredged in 1970 by the Cinmar is exhibit #8. That photo, provided by clovisoid, was taken at the Santa Fe conference a few years back. The actual Cinmar blade can also be seen in that photo. That is an archived page, so please do not reply to that archived thread. I am just trying to find a source for the blade you mistakenly thought was the Cinmar blade. I agree with Hoss in that Adena-related was my first thought when I saw your original piece, IMHO....

http://forum.arrowheads.com/index.ph...an-style-point
                    Rhode Island

Comment

OK,TND1GG3R, here is another thread where the blade you thought was the Cinmar blade is discussed and shown. Please note that in this older thread, the actual provenance of the pieces shown from that collection were called into question:

Moderator Note: Posts marked as coming from a user called "Guest" were from the user "David Stone Sweet" (as indicated in his tag at the bottom of the posts). He was ultimately banned from the forum and his name removed from the user database, resulting in his remaining posts being attributed under the
                      Rhode Island

Comment

That is a blade from Mark Smalls collection...it was recently sold..

Comment

• CMD
                          CMD commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'd be curious to know what it sold for....

OK, here's a photo of the Cinmar blade, for comparison. Since this thread was moved, I'm including it so we can see the difference to the one mistaken as the Cinmar in comment #3 of this present thread. Also, here is an earlier thread calling into question the actual provenance of the Cinmar blade. I don't know how this dispute may have resolved since...

Many will recall the story of the Cinmar Blade and it's use by Stanford and Bradley in support of the Solutrean Hypotheseis. A new paper raises serious

Click image for larger version

Name:	BE063E45-9A16-4C52-8240-09F764FD6F5C-5111-000002D53E3B23E9.jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	268226
                        Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                        X