Animal image on small vessel OMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animal image on small vessel OMG

Please help me identify this over the top artifact. I can clearly see an animal, maybe a dog, maybe a salmon as there appears to be a fish tail. it's been in my collection now for some time I didn't see the image till last night. It may have been burnt or used for fire somehow. As you can see it was used a hilot. Any help on indentifing the animal and the use of this vessel is most appreciated. Thanks kitty

I bet where you collected agates that there were PLENTY of artifacts near those sites.... Agate is cryptocrystalline quartz. Probably the most used and knappable material for Native Americans. From Chert to Flint to Chalcedony etc etc. it's all cryptocrystalline quartz. In Florida we have agatized material and where it is found near the surface that's where the old ones got their prized material and hung out for ages. I understand you can visualize things on these non knappable rocks but your chances of finding artifacts is much better if you look for "agate" chips and outcroppings. When you find ground or worked stone you usually know that you are on a habitation site or at least a camp and there would be a lot of schtuff to find. If you found some of these rocks at a site where other artifacts have been found that would be interesting, it's got a few odd marks..... BTW I LOVE AGATES lol
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• Pennyj32
      Pennyj32 commented
      Editing a comment
      OH I HAVE GORGOUS "WHAT I THINK" TO BE AGATES!! I will post a few

I see nothing there that indicates modification by human hands. Someone else may, but I do not.

Comment

Agree with Joe. A very cool rock but just a rock. Rocks sometimes can be like those clouds you see that look like bunnies or your Aunt Erma.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        My Aunt Emma did NOT look like a bunny.

More like a rock.😳

• sailorjoe
        sailorjoe commented
        Editing a comment
        There may be some young members here whose Aunt Emma was a Playboy Bunny. LOL None of my aunts would have qualified, it's sad to say.

Originally posted by gregszybala View Post
      Agree with Joe. A very cool rock but just a rock. Rocks sometimes can be like those clouds you see that look like bunnies or your Aunt Erma.
      Check and double check.
      It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
      It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
      Circa:1982

Comment

Oh the clouds! Lol! I have heard that many times in the last 6 weeks!! Lol!! Thanks so much!!

Comment

How unfortunate some members in this forum are allowed to freely give wrong advise when they oviously know nothing about Palaeolithic artifacts. This lack of intelligence is not only alarming but wrong to future collectors seeking help in identifing their finds. By the way the artifact above I sought help with is call an Effigy. According to UW here in Washington State this is a very rare piece and should be displayed in a museum.

Comment

• Kyflintguy
            Kyflintguy commented
            Editing a comment
            On the contrary, we frown upon the spread of misinformation here. Who's the "UW" in Washington might I ask that provided you with this misguided information? There is literally hundreds of years of combined experience in distinguishing artifact from geofact, or regular ROCKS on this forum from folks who have dedicated years studying and understanding actual artifacts. You really need to do some research and understand the techniques used to fashion artifacts and what that looks like! Plenty of good threads here that explain Knapping, flaking, pecking and grinding on actual artifacts... No need to target the membership here because they didn't tell you what you wanted to hear. My advice to you is wipe the slate clean of what you think you know and take advantage of the unique learning environment this forum offers! Being wrong is ok it happens!
            Last edited by Kyflintguy; 11-14-2017, 07:59 PM.

"According to UW." Come on Kitty, put it writing. Or at least let us know who did the evaluation for you there, any one of us after your recent comments above will be happy to contact the head of the department, the professor, the TA, the secretary, the clueless student and find out the real truth. What is unfortunate is that people like you feel the need to post something, lie about it then name call others for telling you the truth. There are many forums out there, if you spend a little time I'm sure you'll find the one that will make you feel all warm and fuzzy about your rock.
          Until then, when do you donate to the University and how soon before we see pictures of it displayed in the museum?
          Jeez.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Oh and by the way the word "Paleolithic" is used to describe a period of time in the Old world (Europe, Asia, Middle East, Africa) and would not be used to describe artifacts found in the Americas... I guess you got me there, I don't know much about Paleolithic artifacts....
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• kitty
              kitty commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm sad to say I expected this defensive response to my comment. I suggest you take another look at the Effigy and do a little research yourself before trying to identify something you know nothing about! It seems the criteria from which you relied upon to assess this item is limited at best. So with that said look for pecking and grounding marks on other Effigys and tell me what you see! And why in the world do you think I would give you any contact information regarding this Effigy. Your delusion of grandeur may work for you here but I assure you has no place in a academic fourm such as the UW.

Really? Well by all means alert the Smithsonian of your rare find.
            Child of the tides

Comment

Take it to a museum if your heart is set on it . Go to a show .
              I was sure I had a Dalton variant type I will never know till someone handles it .
              Dont be defensive just absorb .

Comment

Kitty, it’s okay to defend your position, thoughts, theories, etc, here. We all do it, but it has to be done in a civil manner. Kyflintguy actually knows a great deal about these things, so when you say he knows absolutely nothing about it, you tell us that you will just make statements that sound right to you. That needs to stop. Just present your ideas and we can discuss them. For example, how do you think effigies were made without some human modifications, including pecking and grinding? The grinding marks may not seem obvious on some, but look closer with magnification. You will see the evidence of human hands. Don’t discredit the knowledge presented here. Some of these guys have studied this stuff as much or more than many archeologists. So let’s just start over and get along.
                South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                X