Is this a broken point? Found in dry creek bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a broken point? Found in dry creek bed

I found this in a dry creek bed along side a creek. Just minutes outside San Antonio, TX. This is the only one like this that I have personally found. It was wedged between 2 rock in the dirt. I got really excited when I found it. At first glance I thought it was my first personal find point even if broken. Am I right?

That is a tough call for this non expert to make but it has some of the right earmarks for it to possibly be your first. Click image for larger version

Name:	979c76bc2eca0acf182e7f553b4fd203.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	271653
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Absolutely. Congrats on your first. It's nice!
      Rhode Island

Comment

Awesome, Congrats!
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Congratulations!!
          N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Yes!
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Awesome.. Finally...Thank y'all very much. 3 weeks of daily hunting and finally more than just a cool rock. I appreciate y'all checking it out. Do you reckon it was an arrowhead or another type of point.

Comment

Most of what we find as point hunters are not actually arrowheads. Many of the common points we find today Were used more commonly as knives, spears, abrading tools or even boring tools. So it's hard to know exactly, but there is a wonderful typology guide on here for your region! Some of the more common points in the north east were actually atlatl darts. The first true arrowheads didn't come about till a little over 1,000 years ago! I know on the page there is a wonderful thread on this exact question
                Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

That's a bit WOW there AG. Now ya got it. Congrats on your first find. Now go out there and find some more.
                  Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Hi AG. Congratulations on finding your first point. It's kinda rough looking and beat up but it is a point. What you found was used as a knife blade halfted to a handle. J'm not able to ID it as to type but if I found one similar to it in my old north Alabama hunting grounds then it has many of the attributes of types made from the Middle Archaic to Early Woodland periods.

Comment

Congrats. That's the ticket.

Comment

Ohhh finally you did it !!! Yeah your first point .
                        I know you are out there now scratching around .
                        please do what Pointhead said and look up your typology in your region on this site . People have put a lot of time into this . Take advantage ... got yourself a nice knife/blade there .

Comment

Congratulations on your first point!!!! 😆 it truly is a wonderful thing when all of your work pays off.
                          If both artifact and hunter lie idle, they will not meet.

Comment

Okay! Now you're never going to look at rocks the same way ever again! Lol!! Now don't strain your eyes or neck trying to find the next one. You will find like many of us that the points often seem to find us rather than the other way around. It's true.
                            Child of the tides

Comment

Congrats! The first of many, I'm sure. Now go find #2.

Comment

Working...
                              X