Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I(39)m new to the forum-What did I find?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I(39)m new to the forum-What did I find?

Can you tell me what these are? I found these in Oregon.
       Attached files 

Number 2 is definately a nutting stone... number 3 appears like a shaft straightener but i cant tell a lot about it from the pics it looks broke so maybe its not a complete piece...someone else may be able to give you more accurate description. nice finds

Comment

The thing that some are calling a nutting stone may look like that but I do think it is.  I think it was made by nature by stone swirl which carved these out. Stone swirl is where there is a small depression in the stone which is part of a steam or river bed and small rocks get caught in it and swirl around and make these type on holes. There are three whole stone swirls and one part stone swirls on this item, this item at one time was part of a river or stream bed.
      The other item that looks like a shaft straightner may be that, but I think its where a root once was and it rotted away and left that depression.
      Jack

Comment

Jack that was some awesome info on the stone swirls ..never knew that but i can totally see how it would make it have that appearance now. Its amazing how the water can form and do such things.

Comment

Greywolf-
          Interesting theory. The problem with the stream/riverbed and a pebble swirling around theory is that the original rock had the holes on all sides. When I found it, it was barely in one piece. The holes were everywhere. If it was only on one side, I think your theory wold be true, however since it is was all over, and some showed signs of pecking, I doubt if the swirling theory holds up. The swirls are actually layers of stone. The egde of the stone has layers that is consistent with the inside of the stone.
          The idea of a tree root is also interesting. I don't think it is a shaft straightener, rather an abrader. The tool was used a bit differently than a straightener. I have seen TONS of pictures on the web and many looked just like mine. I know that it is a matter of opinion, but the tree root doesn't seem to apply in this case.
          Thanks

Comment

I gave my opinion on another thread and I still think they are natural.
            Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

autographcollector11 , listen to these guys, they have a lot of knowledge,, i have found a lot of things i just knew was an artifact, Mother Nature is awsome ..so are artifacts

Comment

Working...
              X