Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knapping stone

Not positive but I think we found a multi purpose
    knaping stone . I would not bother to post this but it is very smooth on the top like you could sharpen a knife .
    But the strange thing is the line across the upper top side . What would that be used for if man made .
    Now this is a heartbreaker tool broken from a timber plow so it may not show well in the pics,
    and it was found in S Georgia .
    Last edited by tomclark; 11-21-2017, 09:03 AM.

Looks like a kind of a porous rock and might be somewhat soft but it looks like it has been used for a hammer stone. There was soft hammer stones and really hard hammer stones each one had a use.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Knap one end, grind the other boom! Nice hammerstone
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

Tam - looking at the close up of that line across the one end of that stone it appears to be naturally made. It looks like it has weathered considerably and I don't think that line was made with a purpose in mind.
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Petrified hamburger bun? Seriously it looks natural to me.
          Child of the tides

Comment

Ok guys great to know . We did see the obvious hammerstone
            but didn’t know about that line .
            love the color wish it wasn’t broke . Found a bright yellow last year same size . So it’s there style I would guess .

Comment

Deb I love it lol

Comment

That’s awesome Tam.
                If both artifact and hunter lie idle, they will not meet.

Comment

Nice little hammer stone A friend of mine who knapped quartz told me the softer hammers worked better on quartz.
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                  X