found again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• found again

I opened a wood box in my office and found some pieces that I had forgotten. Somewhere around here is a paper bag full of broken points. These were found where I grew up near Hollidaysburg, PA or where I live now near Williamsport, PA. Probably a couple from each location. The big piece is interesting. It was obviously hit be farm equipment many times. I sure wish the other half wasn't missing. It looks to me like somebody spent a lot of time drilling that hole. What makes it interesting to me is that it is stepped from both sides.

Is that a celt. That's nice and the detail in the hole is interesting. Have never seen that perspective before.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I have an idea how the hole was made but I have no idea why. I believe the craftsman drilled a small hole all the way through. Then he took a drill that was a little larger and drill down partway from both sides. And the stop he made was precise. Then he took a larger drill and made the hole bigger partway down from both sides. Again, he stopped at precisely the same depth on both sides. Now why the dickens would he go to all of that trouble?

Comment

That is a good example of bi conical drilling. The item is slate and probablt a broken pendant or Gorget.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

When I looked at the hole, I thought of something like this which of course, would be impossible. I'll take a picture tomorrow of what I believe is a drill.

Comment

I searched Gorget here and you are right. I can see it. All the more I sure wish it wasn't broken!
            Last edited by dr socling; 11-23-2017, 06:07 PM. Reason: another point

Comment

It looks like a gorget to me. Nice stuff! I too have put away points only to locate them at a later date. Love it when that happens. Like finding them twice! 😀

Comment

In my collection, I have always considered the artifact in the bottom left to be a drill. To the right of it, I consider the pointed object to be a punch. In the last two pictures, you can see the flute on the drill. If a fellow had an assortment of these with different diameters, he could make a hole like in the Gorget.

Comment

I should add that everything on that board was found in the same farmers's field when I was a kid. Mostly younger than 16.

Comment

Doesn't anybody have a comment about what I'm calling a drill? Was it a drill?

Comment

They look like drills to me nice finds. Here is a frame of personal finds by me and my dad back the the 70s and 80s western CT. Click image for larger version

Name:	drilz5.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	454.5 KB
ID:	273262Click image for larger version

Name:	drilz3.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	273263Click image for larger version

Name:	drilz1.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	273264
                      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Jethro355
                        Jethro355 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Good grief, Hoss...y’all were on top of a prehistoric Home Depot....

Here is my coolest one It was made from a Lavanna point. Click image for larger version

Name:	nipdrl.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	459.8 KB
ID:	273266

Comment

You have some really nice drills but they all end with points. One of mine has a perfectly smooth beveled end. Maybe it was used to drill wood?

Comment

Could be they drilled bone, shell, wood and rock with them. Thanks for sharing your refound items. Sorry for going off topic with the drill displays Can you show us some pictures of the points in the refinds. What is the white ting??

Comment

I never have a problem with people going off topic. The artifacts on the board are from some that I found as a kid. I'm not sure what white thing you are referring to. This is the only white one I see. Next to it is a black and white point.

Comment

Working...
                            X