Opinions on my small collection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on my small collection?

Just wanting to see what y'all think about this spread. I know it isn't much, but there are some real nice pieces.
    also I need help with typing them and any help would be appreciated. Pretty sure there is a Clovis and a dalton.

Comment

Nice collection! I don't see Clovis, but I do see Dalton, Thebes(archaic bevel), maybe a Hardin, and many more. 😀

Comment

Thank you! There are some things in there that I'm pretty sure are reeeeally old Paleo or earlier. Here is what I think may be a small Clovis.

Comment

• Pinetree1
          Pinetree1 commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you are right after seeing these pics. Looks like a Dalton base, nice collection.😀
          Last edited by Pinetree1; 11-24-2017, 11:41 PM.

There are some tools/atlatl weights/bannerstones in there that I think are really cool. Idk if you noticed the hammer in there but here is a pic of it.

Comment

Welcome Andy some nice pieces in your collection. Hard to tell if that is Clovis or not with the lighting. Am I seeing a flute on one side? Take some pics outdoors in natural. Thanks for sharing
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• AndyinMO
            AndyinMO commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes that is fluting on both sides.

• AndyinMO
            AndyinMO commented
            Editing a comment
            Also, thank you for complimenting me on the collection. I'm not new to collecting, but I am new to typology and the whole lexicon of terms. So, any of them you could i.d. for me would be a great help.

Nice Collection!
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Nice, Andy!
            Professor Shellman
            Tampa Bay

Comment

Nice collection
              South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Originally posted by AndyinMO View Post
                Thank you! There are some things in there that I'm pretty sure are reeeeally old Paleo or earlier. Here is what I think may be a small Clovis.
                It does look like a fluted point. Many post-Clovis points(Clovis points only lasted about 500 years, maybe less?) were also fluted. Here in New England, for instance, we have several varieties of Paleo Era fluted points that are somewhat younger then Clovis. That's true elsewhere as well, obviously. One does not usually see a basal concavity that deep on classic Clovis. I'm not any degree of expert, just talking off the top here. Also, some earlymost Archaic Era Dalton points were fluted, so maybe that's what you have. Again, just speculating here:

Rhode Island

Comment

• AndyinMO
                  AndyinMO commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Maybe a barber?

I wouldn't say small collection at all...I thought Dalton at first also but I cant say for sure either...nice pieces man...
                The chase is better than the catch...
                I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Andy - on the one you're calling a Clovis, unless my eyes are worse than I thought, I only see what could be a small flute on the one side (2nd Pic). I'm thinking, like Charlie, that that's a Dalton. Still, you've got quite an assortment of artifacts in your collection and it's something to be proud of.
                  Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• AndyinMO
                    AndyinMO commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ill get a better pic of each side. It has fluting abt 1/2 inch in length on each side

Nice collection Andy!

You've found some cool points there but I see a few that would land in the geofact category. I agree with others about the Dalton, its not a Clovis imo, but shoot still an awesome find regardless. I don't see any bannerstones though and I think your hammer is just a blocky chunk of chert. But hey better to bring that stuff home and get more opinions than to leave it laying if your not sure. Hang around and learn with us Andy, plenty of information to be had here. Thanks for sharing!
                  Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• AndyinMO
                    AndyinMO commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sorry, I meant nutting stone, not Bannerstone.

• Kyflintguy
                    Kyflintguy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Does it show use as a hammer Andy? If so I would love to see pics and maybe you can show us how you believe it was used as a hammer. We've all heard the "verified by an archaeologist" routine here. Do you have an email or letter from the archaeologist? Do you know those archaeologist names?

• AndyinMO
                    AndyinMO commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No letter or email. Their names are available at semo.edu, it's southeast missouri state university. It does show signs, diamond shaped shaft for hafting, grounding and pitting on each end, and a bit of knapping down the underside. I do know

"I'm positive its a hammer. I've had it verified with the local college."

I would disagree with you or whoever has told you that's a hammer Andy. Its completely natural and unmodified by human hands. Looks like some nice chert but it would shatter if you struck anything hard with it. Hammers were used throughout all time periods in the Americas but they did not look like that. We welcome you to share your artifacts here but the ol "verified by expert" line is just insulting our intelligenice.
                  Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• AndyinMO
                    AndyinMO commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Just telling you what the archaeology&anthropology guy at semo said.

• AndyinMO
                    AndyinMO commented
                    Editing a comment
                    However, I do agree that there were some geofacts in there that I wasn't sure about.

I don't think that's a Clovis despite the flutes. You have an extensive collection nonetheless & have a right to be proud. It would be nice to see some singular close-ups of your more interesting pieces taken in natural light so we can see the details you're describing.
                  Child of the tides

Comment

• AndyinMO
                    AndyinMO commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Will do.
                Working...
                X