What is THIS..Any ideas? Harpoon tip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is THIS..Any ideas? Harpoon tip?

Can't seem to find it anywhere. Some come close but not exact..a variant maybe. Or a new type would be AWESOME!

Maybe a scraper , maybe a spall, hard to tell.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I found it in se Mo, in an area where there was a lot of large bird hunting (herron) and archery fishing. Bird points are common in the field where it was found.there is fluting on both sides, and it has very fine vertical knapping on both sides of the tip.

Comment

Hey Andy - I think I agree with Greg. Appears to be a uniface scraper. Man do I love that material.
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• AndyinMO
          AndyinMO commented
          Editing a comment
          Right, isn't that banding beautiful!

No Harpoon, hard to see the flaking in that lighting. Probably like Greg said a scraper.
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Yes, I tend to agree that it may have been used as a scraper. Another possibility is a small oval knife to be used when a sharp point may have been unwanted.

Comment

Ok. Still cool, and razor sharp. Reason I thought point was because there are small sockets on each side of the stem and a small socket on the base of the stem as well.

Comment

Looks like a thumb scraper and I concur, that stone is beautiful.
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
              X