X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlatl dart or arrow

Hi
    a while ago, I had posted a picture of these and got good feedback. One thing that I am trying to conclude is for the smaller piece, is this a Kirk cluster dart or jacks reef arrow.? These are separated by thousands of years , yet look so similar. The thickness of the small piece is 5mm but may have been thicker before it was thinned. It also looks reworked? It also looks beveled where reefs are flat? These are from Illinois. These were also found within 15 feet of each other if that matters. I wanted to include the width as I did not include it last time.

I was told jacks reefs are very thin but is 5mm too thick?

Please let me know your thoughts. I'd appreciate it!

The broke half looks Kirk or maybe Pine tree to me. The whole point I would say Dart point/Knife. They often pulled double duty. I don't see a JR there imo. Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by Kyflintguy; 11-24-2017, 10:59 AM.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Take a look at the Lundy point type or cupp
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Hi Arrow. Looks like you are on an Early Archaic site. Without more pics and closeup shots of the base and both sides of the unbroken point I hesitate to make a call. Even then it might require having it in hand to make a confident ID. It could be one of several possibilities. (Decatur is one that comes to mind or a couple of others).The broken one is made difficult for the same reasons but more so because half or more is missing. There are things about it that remind be of Lost Lake and Kirk corner notch. Decatur and Lost Lake are older, I think, than are Kirks. As KFG said, the whole point because of its size may have been used as a point of a dart or a small knife. I am confident that there are no Jacks Reef points there.

Comment

That looks like it could also be a bifurcate.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks Greg Here is a closer pic of the base. I'm torn on if it was intentional or damaged. Note that the area was never plowed.what do you think?

Comment

Here are close ups of the smaller base as well....it is thinned and appears ground. Does this help?

Comment

Hmph looks very familiar. https://forums.arrowheads.com/index....you-help-id-it
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Didn't I already ban you for posting this point twice now you come back with a new name and post it again. SMH
                  Last edited by Hoss; 11-25-2017, 07:54 PM.
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                  X