Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MN Possible scraper attempt? Carnelian, Chert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MN Possible scraper attempt? Carnelian, Chert?

This was found on a gravel bar along a river in southern Minnesota. Thoughts? Attempted tool? Click image for larger version  Name:	tool.png Views:	1 Size:	672.9 KB ID:	273300
    Last edited by Sergeir; 11-25-2017, 08:03 PM.

sergeir, welcome to AH.com from a fellow minnestoan.im up in the central part of the state

you,like i,are living in a very poor lithic area. so looking for stuff made from quartz and quartzite puts you on the right track right away.

but to me that looks like the flakes that were knocked off were from natural tumbling and not intentional flakes taken by man
    all though if i had it in hand i might be able to tell better,as it is hard to look at pics of quartz/quartzite and be 100% sure.it doesnt show flakes very well,especially in pics

Comment

I am not seeing a scrpaer pretty looking rock for sure. Being a gravel bar find I tend to agree with Sneaky coule be busted up from river tumble.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

That's some gorgeous material & Id keep it just for the color. Or tumble it & make something from it.
        Child of the tides

Comment

Working...
        X