Eagle Effigy? Knife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagle Effigy? Knife?

I have taken much better photos of the items I previously posted. I cannot locate my last post so I'm starting over.
    One is an alledged Eagle effigy(1 3/4in W x 2 3/4in H) alledgedly given only to great warriors for luck. The other is a possible knife blade. They were found on our creek bank after a flood. We have a gentleman that looked them over and he thinks the knife(5" in Length x 1 1/2" W) is from the Paleo period possibly 9-10,000 years old. Not sure on the other.

Attached files 

The first item at one time was much larger based on the base and through many re-sharpening  was reduced to its current size. It looks to have been re-sharpened while hafted.  It may have started out life as a point but ended up being used as a knife at the end of its life.  It looks to have been river tumbled over a long time period which has smoothed it down. I do not think it was intentionally made to look like an Eagle head it just ended up this way during re-sharpening, but if you want to think its an Eagle effigy there is nothing that says you cannot.
    The second is a square knife that looks to have been river tumbled. 
    Jack

Comment

Thanks for replying. I appreciate it. We are so new to this. They were found on our riverbank and you can definitely tell they have been river tumbled. An old Indian gentleman gave us the info on the alledged "Eagle" effigy and offered a $1,000 for it on the spot. Probably a joke. Do you know of a reputable authenticator? Someone who specializes in that sort of thing? And about what price it would cost for that? I appreciate your input. Thanks again!!

Comment

for a COA on artifacts..Dwain Rogers, 4102 birch boulv. , temple tx., 76502,,phone-254-791-5520,, Jack Bates reffered him to me,,nice artifacts

Comment

Those are two nice artifacts. I'm with Jack, first and one just a resharped tool not a eagle effigy and the second one a square knife. Although they are nice artifacts I don't think it would be worth paying someone to authenticate them becouse there is no question about them being real artifacts and it would probably cost more then they are worth. Just carry them to the next arrowhead show near you and you can get several free opinions from experienced collectors. Good hunting

Comment

Carson
            If you were offered $1,000.00 dollars for it I would have jumped on it. Both items are not worth much as they are only field grade. A COA would cost you around $35.00 with shipping and handeling. Dwain Rogers is a good one, like Doug says.
            Jack

Comment

Hi, Carson.  I found a piece of flint that appeared to have the image of an Eagle within it.  It tore me up inside that I could see it and thought that no one else would.  If I had been offered the amt. of $'s that you were offered...I would have had the money in my pocket in a heartbeat.  Then again, I wouldn't have My Eagle! At least I refer to it as My Eagle.  Nice find and artifact you have there!  This is a photo of my find.  This piece was my avatar for a while until I recently changed it.
              Pam   

Comment

I talked to an archeolgist last year and he said they did carve eagles but they are very rare. So if it is the real thing it might be worth alot of money. I am courious, when you find out let us know if its really a eagle or not. And since then I have found the one in my pic and lost his telephone number. As soon as I see another artifact idenification again I am going to take it to find out if its a geofact or the real thing along with the others I have. Good luck!

Comment

You could send these to an authenticator, but I would save my money. I don't think it is an effigy. Native Americans were artisans that made some really fine effigies, all are well made and quite recognizable.
                  Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Working...
                  X