X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• portable nutting stone?

Portable nutting stone.found paint creek,wv

That would be a keeper to me.
    Last edited by Havenhunter; 12-08-2017, 11:05 AM.
    Child of the tides

Comment

Yeah it's def one of the best I've found,it's all smoth on the btm deom grinding..thanks for checking my post out

Comment

Could be ??? Not real sure that whole was man made though
        As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
        NW Arkansas

Comment

I find lot n lots.in that material there it's been pecked,find tons of tools n that material..here's a big example,I'll do a few of what I have,,but thinking it's mutli.cupstone..grinder,it's smooth on btm.and has fire starter hole w fire marks..but never know. Hope y'all like my other pics,traditional nutting stones

Comment

• Havenhunter
            Havenhunter commented
            Editing a comment
            These look natural to me. All nutting stones have ground depressions but not all depressions are nutting stones. You can drive yourself into a frenzy seeing nutting stones when there are none.

I think I'm going to agree with G10. All look natural.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I'ma have to dig the one out with the groves,I'll take a pic, u'll be able to clearly see the other are fact nutting Stone,the port one maybe not,all i see if pecking, the real nutting stones if ya find good ones have a indention at the btm of the hole.like it was bit and twisted n a circular fashion.ill show ya..u'll be impressed. I used to think these were made by water dripping,till I found the groves,they are very slight usually but the one I'll show is pronounced, I enjoy all of this

Comment

Worldman - I don't know about that first picture in this post but the next three are all natural made by drippng water. The material you show is LimeRock and the water constantly dripping on it causes near perfect circular holes to form. I find them all over this mountain. You may find one rock that has several depressions and I've seen them with over 50 depressions. Don't take my word for it - take them to an archaeologist and he'll tell you the same thing. Happy hunting.
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

The pits in the stone are natural. There is no evidence that the stone was altered by ancient man. The natural stone could have been picked up and used however I don't see any evidence of use wear either.
              Michigan Yooper
              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

What do y'all think?

Comment

Well I like point but not sure about that rock... here is a Nutting stone that I dug out of a camp ... so I can see how there might be some confusion ... the one u have pictured looks to be caused by water,, just an opinion....
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by G10+; 12-09-2017, 10:44 PM.
                  As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                  NW Arkansas

Comment

Hey Wordman, I'm sure that you have noticed that the stone has several holes: That alone is a good clue that it is natural. I have picked up several natural stones that are interesting. Here are a few that I have but remember they are all 100 % natural. Click image for larger version

Name:	Omar a.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	276126Click image for larger version

Name:	Omar b.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	276127Click image for larger version

Name:	Pup.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	276128Click image for larger version

Name:	StoneSinker.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	276129Click image for larger version

Name:	HoleinStone1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	276122Click image for larger version

Name:	HoleinStone4.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	276123Click image for larger version

Name:	HoleinStone5.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	276124Click image for larger version

Name:	HoleinStone6.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	276125
                    Michigan Yooper
                    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Yeah I do see some diff ,I think your right,

Comment

If you lived in California, or the Great Basin of the western US, I would be inclined to identify one of your examples as cupules rock art. Cupules are among the oldest rock art in the world, found on every continent except Antarctica. They represent a deep mystery as to purpose.

This Australian paper does a good job distinguishing natural holes and man made cupules. It includes examples from around the world.

http://www.ifrao.com/wp-content/uplo...06/Cupules.pdf

Another useful guide. You can also just google "cupules" and get a wealth of information...

Cupules: Prehistoric Hemispherical Petroglyphs: Definition, Description, History, Types: Oldest Cupule Discovery, Bhimbetka

The oldest rock art site known in North America contains cupules, seen at this paper. They really are a great mystery where early rock art is concerned:

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...t=usgsstaffpub

Here'a a paper describing cupules from California. The first image below is taken from this paper. The second image below is your example that reminds me of man made cupules...

https://escholarship.org/content/qt2...0674d17edef6cb

I don't know if the example of your's is an example of man made cupules rock art, but it would have stopped me in my tracks for sure....

Last edited by CMD; 12-12-2017, 07:36 PM.
                        Rhode Island

Comment

Nutting stone

Comment

Working...
                          X