Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arrowhead of very rough stone? What is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrowhead of very rough stone? What is it?

Found this arrowhead in southern manitoba, Canada near oak lake/souix valley reserve. I have found many arrowheads/scrapers in the same area, this one has always intrigued me though, everything else we find is made from flint... any ideas? Also it's about 1.5 inches long.

looks like its some kind of quartzite to me

Comment

Geez .... now idea about material
      As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
      NW Arkansas

Comment

Welcome to the site Mandy and agree with Sneaky, it does look like a quartzite. Could have been made from a glacial cobble.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome from southwestern Ontario.

That is a very cool lithic.

I agree with the others.

Thanks for sharing.

Please share your other finds as we would love to see more examples from Manitoba.

Comment

Share some more. I can’t add anything more about this point.
            South Dakota

Comment

Hey Mandy - Welcome Aboard. Don't know the material but looks grainy. Post some more - we'd love to see em.
              Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Thanks for everyones input, glad to know it's not just my complete lack of knowledge that makes this one a bit of a mystery. I will definitely post some more of what I've found, I'd love to have imput on what everything is!
                does everyone agree with my original assumption that this is indeed an arrowhead? It's so clunky compared to everything else I've found, i have a hard time imagining it being able to even kill anything, let alone fly through the air with any degree off accuracy!!

Comment

Could be in the argilitie family. Argillite does not weather well. In the eastern US there it ranges in colors from reds and browns to greys and black. There is also a greenish variety in Eastern MA and RI that looks more like slate . Argellite over time does not weather well and will often loose all of the hills and valleys look of knapped chert and flint materials.. Follow this link for an example https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...ear-1826408436
                  Last edited by Hoss; 12-11-2017, 11:54 AM.
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Welcome to ah.com
                    I am not seeing a point (arrowhead ) for the shape could be man altered thou.
                    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Working...
                    X