Really Interesting Stone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really Interesting Stone

Ok, so I was on a hunt today and I found this really interesting, symmetrical, pretty stone. Now obviously it doesn't appear to have been worked into this shape in any way, but I'm curious if anyone thinks it's likely a manuport? This particular site has a very small area that produces, and this did happen to be within that small area.

Now I've heard of crystals or what have you being identified as charm stones, but what about just a pretty looking stone? Has anyone ever heard of interesting looking stones being found within the context of a site?

I know I sometimes ask silly questions on here(thanks for putting up with it), and I know it's impossible to know anything about it for sure... I'd just like people to throw their two cents in. Thanks in advance.

Who knows? We like to think someone picked it up and brought it home, we sure do (see example above ) So it could be very likely, or not.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Of course we know NA put all kinds of things on and around their persons. Pebbles, bird feathers, claws, bones & pigments. Seeing the beauty in that little stone, I can certainly see some ancient spotting it also a creek bank & picking it up to admire & keep.
      Child of the tides

Comment

Yes, shaman's kits often contained what amounts to "pretty stones". Unless found in excavated context in direct association with artifacts, it's obviously a judgement call and really not something that can be proved. I have 2 such manuports from a field that really is devoid of rocks other then artifacts, hearth stones, and the occasional stray pebble or rock. Those two manuports really stand out like a sore thumb for beauty and unnatural degree of polish. So I'm confident. Making these kind of judgement calls is always best made, when they are simply surface finds, by someone who knows the site in question like the back of their hand. It's like intuition has to come into play, and that comes into play when someone knows the site really, really well. A lightbulb goes off and a hunch comes into play. So we keep these things based on such hunches.

Here is one of those two potential manuports from the field I'm talking about. Remember, stray rocks are a real rarity in this field. Most unusual for our usually rocky New England soil. So, seeing this, I had to act on that intuition and collect it. Pretty stone with 100% high polish....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9283.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	277991

Rhode Island

Comment

• Shedhunter
          Shedhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow!! That's an oddity. Is that hematite? Or some type of conglomerate? It's a beautiful stone whatever it is.

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          Not hematite. But not at all sure what it is. Most conglomerate in the Narragansett Basin is sandstone with embedded pebbles, and it's not that either. It is a hardstone, and the inclusions are probably feldspar...

• -=METACOM=-
          -=METACOM=- commented
          Editing a comment
          That's cool as hell! I don't think I've seen you post that before.

I like the stone, I think a NA would have to. Just my hunch...
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I agree with Josh. It's attractive and unusual, and a good candidate.
          Rhode Island

Comment

I don't know Mark, but it is a cool stone. I definitely would have picked it up.
            Matt, from Massachusetts

Comment

I saw this late last night and could not wait to hear what everyone said . I never heard manuport used before .
              always learning .

Comment

I've found a few unworked quartz crystals that were very clear and translucent on N/A sites. They are so unusual and out of place among the local stones that you just know some N/A had picked it up somewhere and carried it with him. Good luck charms, shaman stones or just curiosities, who knows? They were unusual enough that I took them home with me!

Comment

I as well have found unusual stone in camps ..... I think they kept and collected things as we do
                  As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                  NW Arkansas

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys, exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by clambellies View Post
                      I've found a few unworked quartz crystals that were very clear and translucent on N/A sites. They are so unusual and out of place among the local stones that you just know some N/A had picked it up somewhere and carried it with him. Good luck charms, shaman stones or just curiosities, who knows? They were unusual enough that I took them home with me!
                      The one camp I hunt . If itโ€™s sunny it looks like diamonds.
                      nothing made out of them but big clear 5 kt looking diamonds .I could post .

Comment

That's a great little stone. I think it's a manuport, too.

I've got a large, natural pink quartz crystal that was found eroding out beneath the roots of a tree on a large, high mound of shell and sand. Hundreds of miles away from any quartz source. Tampa Bay. Problem I have with this manuport is that is could just be some New-Ager Cleansing Crystal Person or dare I say a "Wannabee" buried it there recently in some kind of misguided ceremony.... Dayum.
                        Professor Shellman
                        Tampa Bay

Comment

I think it's one beautiful stone. Whoever or however it got there...
                          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Sometimes we need to remember, these ancients were pretty much like us. I'd say if a person likes things nowadays, they pretty much liked em back in the day too! I also think they collected artifacts too!๐Ÿ˜€

Comment

• CMD
                              CMD commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yep, and fossils too. I have found fossils on camp and village sites that I am certain were transported there.
                          Working...
                          X